18. Are You Sure You Didn't Mean to Call Jake?

Chapter 18: Are You Sure You Didn't Mean to Call Jake?

There is only one thing on my mind... Hunter. Now that is something I never thought I'd say. I explained to Carly what happened at the UDF and she thinks I should be careful. I mean, maybe Hunter's not lying. Maybe he actually cares.

Carly and Adam are spending the day together. I don't want to go out with Jake or else I'll keep thinking about what Hunter said. Maybe I'll hang out with James.

I call James on the phone.

"Hey. Wanna hang out?" I ask.

"Me?" He asks.

"Ya."

"Are you sure you didn't mean to call Jake?" Oh god. This is pathetic.

"No! You!" I chuckle.

"Oh." He sounds disappointed.

"You sound upset."

"No, just shocked." Ouch.

"Ok, I'm assuming you don't want to hang out?"

"No, it's fine. I'll pick u up in 15."

"Okay. Bye." I hang up the phone.

That is so disappointing. I've never hung out alone with him. I feel like he doesn't want to hang out with me. Wow. Ouch.

He picks me up 15 min later and we drive around aimlessly.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"I have no idea."

"Great." I say sarcastically. "Ok, where do you want to go?"

"Wherever."

"How specific." I say sarcastically again.

"Someone's in a mood. Why?"

I'm not going to tell him!

"Um... nothing really."

"Jake told me that you ran into Hunter yesterday."

"Oh.." I say disappointed.

"Don't believe anything he says."

"But the thing he said was confusing... how could I not think about? And thinking about it leads to believing it." I say.

"What did he say?"

"Well if I repeat it out loud, I'm going to realize how real it sounds. Technically, what he said could happen, I just don't want it to be true."

"Then tell that to yourself. If you don't want it to be true, then eventually you'll think it isnt."

"When did you become such a wise person?" He laughs.

"I'm serious. If it bothers you that much, you know you can always tell me and get it off your shoulders."

I can't tell you because it's about you and Jake! This is so hard. I wish I was with Carly but I'll let her have time with Adam.

"Thanks." I say awkwardly. "How about bowling?"

"I can't bowl for my life. How about movie."

"Nah. I've seen all of them."

"Ok.."

"Shopping?" I bet he'll say no.

"Sure."

"Seriously?" I ask surprised.

"Ya. Why not?"

"Ok."

We drive to the mall.

"Where first?" I ask.

"Aeropostale."

Thank god! I LOVE Aeropostale! I'm surprised he shops from there.... I would expect him to get stuff from Hollister or Abercrombie.

We go to several different stores and end up with 2 bags in each hand. We make a quick stop by Panera and get some food.

I gotta admit, he's got good style. You know who would appreciate good style in a guy? Carly. I totally ship them! Their teasing is so cute! They're perfect for each other!

After a while, I call Carly.

"Hey! How's your date going?"

"Good! How are you?" She says with a worried tone. I knew she was talking about the stuff Hunter said.

"I'm fine. I'm with James."

"Really?" She almost sounded jealous, but that might just be me. I ship them so much!

"Ya. We went shopping."

"Fun. We're bowling."

"Nice!"

"I'm winning." I laugh.

"That's not all that matters!" I smile.

"I gotta go. I'm gonna kick his ass." She hangs up.

I'm glad she's happy.

By the evening, I'm back at home with James next to me and we're watching a movie. Carly barges in with Adam and sits on the other couch. They watch with us and eventually Jake walks through the door. I resist getting up and leaving. He sits next to me and kisses my cheek. I fake a smile. I'm stiff for the rest of the movie. Eventually Jake and Adam go home, leaving Carly, James, and me.

"Ok, you were stiff for the whole movie once Jake walked in." James says. "What's wrong?"

"What makes you think there's something wrong?" I ask, trying to avoid the subject.

Carly gives me a look. It's the just-tell-him look. I give her the no!-its-about-him-and-his-best-friend look.

"Vanessa, I spent the whole day with you. I picked up on some of your emotions and your body language. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

He gives me the are-you-serious-right-now look.

"Ya know what, it's getting late." I push him out the door. "Bye!" I close the door and Carly looks at me.

"You should have told him." She says

"I know. But i don't want it to be true. If I tell him, he might confirm it."

She sighs. She pulls me into a hug.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Not being here."

"You shouldn't be sorry. You are happy. I don't want you to be miserable because I have a messed up life." Carly smiles and hugs me again.

At least I have a best friend to fall back on if Jake breaks my heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1K READS! Share with your friends!

Vote and Comment! ;) ❤❤