The Rumored Boys

[ S e a s o n  O N E ]

K i m  J i n h e e

I pressed my lips into a fine line and let out a silent sigh. Coincidentally, I heard the exhaling of the wind outside the class window. I held back a smile, slightly amused at how even the soul of nature understood my feelings at that moment.

My eyes were already out of focus and I felt lethargic. Firstly, because it was Biology class. Secondly, because Mr. Park Bogum's voice was too romantic, and it somehow lulled the students to their dreamland. Lastly, because my brain had accepted too much information in such a short time that in any second, it would lyse. See what Biology had done to me there?

I subtly moved my gaze and looked at the ticking clock hanging against the wall of the class, which somehow it appeared as the focal point to the students, because they were just like me—hungry predators who were waiting to prey for the luscious foods in the cafeteria.

Five minutes into lunch break.

I looked at my best friends, Jung Soojung and Bae Suzy, who were both indulged in their solitary minds. Suzy had that nonchalant look over her features as she tapped the desk with her pretty nails, never bothered to hide her boredom.

While Soojung held onto this annoyed expression, and somehow it caused my heart to slowly drop in disappointment. Because her frustrated demeanor would also mean I couldn't go hunting with others. Because she would cut me off before I even had the chance to lift my butt away from my chair.

She was going to confess everything soon. And right now, she was just waiting for the right time—like a time ticking bomb.

The bell finally rang for the lunch break, and here we go.

"It didn't work out well," Soojung began just in time.

I pursed my lips knowingly as I chose to stay in my seat, but my disloyal mind chose not to as it started to imagine the mouth-watering meals in the cafeteria.

"What didn't?" Suzy asked in a casual manner because just like me, we expected this from Soojung.

"Me and Minhyuk," She furrowed her eyebrows, looking bothered. "I don't even want to say his name anymore."

"Then don't," Suzy replied, her eyes not paying attention to Soojung but her nails. Her nails were acrylic and had heart decals on them. I couldn't help but look at her nails too. She must have worked hard to keep her nails so pretty.

"He keeps ignoring my texts and calls! Whenever I asked him for a reason, he'd always say that he's busy with some stuff. I can't believe this. I'm Jung Soojung, and no one can ever treat me like this. He's making me look like I'm desperate when I'm totally not."

Whoosh. A moment of silence passed by.

"I said I'm not!" She exclaimed defensively.

"Yes, Jung Soojung. You're damn gorgeous and you're totally not desperate." I entertained her with a flattery, always a good ploy.

"We've been dating only for two weeks but he already showed his true colors. What a jerk..." Soojung crossed her arms and huffed out a frustrated sigh.

"But?" Suzy suddenly asked.

Soojung looked up at her, puzzled. "But what?"