Chapter 1

Mackenzie POV
  Hello, my name is Mackenzie but most people just call me Kenz or Kenzie. I'm 5'3. I'm brown skin with long hair that stops in the middle of my back. I'm seventeen and just graduated high school. I work at footlocker. I live with my mom and her boyfriend, ray. I hate both of them. Almost everyday my mom's boyfriend touches me and she lets him. Then gets mad at me because her boyfriend wants me more than her and I'm apparently stealing her man. I can't wait until I finally leave this house.  I had just finished getting dressed and was about to leave to go to work. I went downstairs and Ray was asleep on the couch. I grabbed my keys and my phone the started walking to the bus stop. I got on and waited to get to the stop closest to the mall. I got off and walked the rest of the way then went into footlocker. "Hey Kenzie " my bestfriend Nyah said. "Hey boo" I said back. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and it was this boy holding up a pair of shoes. "Can you get these for me in a size 11" he asked. I nodded and took the shoes to the back. I came back with his shoes. I gave them to him and asked "do you need anything else". He shook his head and I started to walk away "wait come back" he said. I turned around "can I get your name ma" he asked. "Maclenzie" I said. "I'm Rico Can I get your number" he asked. "If I see you again then you can have my number" I said. "Aight bet" he said then went to  And pay for his shoes he smiled at me then left.

  Damn he was cute. "What you all smiling for" Nyah asked. "That boy that just bought some shoes" I told her. "Did you get his number" she asked. I shook my head "he asked for mine but I said no he probably just wanted to have sex anyway" I said. She nodded. "Are you exited about your vacation" I asked. "Yea I wish you could come " she said. "I do to" I said. Pretty soon the day was over and it was time for me to go back home.

  I can't wait until i get enough money for my own place . I got on the bus and waited for it to get to the stop closest to my neighborhood. I got of and started walking. I got to my apartment and went inside. I try to get to my room before anyone saw me but it was too late. "Mackenzie" Ray yelled. I went into the kitchen where he was. "Hey Babygirl" he said and started walking closer to me. I tried to back up but he grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him. "Can you do something for daddy" he said. "Your not my dad" I stated. He smacked me and said "I am what I say  I am just go get me something to eat" he said and handed me a twenty. "What do you want" I asked. "Chicken wings fries and a half and half and bring my change". I walked out the door and headed to the food place. Once I got there I ordered his food and sat down to wait until it was ready. Rico came in. He ordered something then spotted me and walked over. "Hey Mackenzie" he said. "Hi Rico" I said back to him. "Can I sit" he said. I nodded and he sat down. "So how old are you" he asked. "17" I answered, "what about you". "20" he said. "You still in school" he asked. I shook my head "I just graduated" I told him. "Well congratulations" he said. "Thanks" I said back. We talked and laughed for a while. "Order 23 " the guy that worked there said. "That's me" I said standing up. I went to the counter and pulled out the twenty. "I got it ma" he said. "It's fine you don't have to waste your money on me" I said. "It's not a waste and I want to". I put the twenty away. He handed the guy the money and I thanked him. I started walking out and he grabbed my arm. I got scared for a second. I guess he saw it in my face and let go. "I thought if I saw you again I could have you number" he said. We exchanged phones and put our numbers in. I left and started walking home. I went inside and Ray was sitting on the couch. I handed him his food and the money he gave me and tried to walk away but he grabbed my arm. "Why you leaving so fast" he said. I tried to get out of his grip but he was really strong. He pushed me against a wall and started touching my hips and kissing my neck. He unbuckled his pants and then my mom came downstairs.

  "What's going on" she asked. "She tried to get me sto have sex with her" he lied. I felt a tear fall from my eye. "Mom don't believe him he's lying" I cried. "Who you gonna believe me or her she lies all the time and you know that" he said. "Mom he tried to rape me again you have to believe in telling the truth" I yelled. At this point I was crying. "What did I tell you about lying and trying to steal my man". "Mom I'm telling the truth why won't you-" she cut me off. "Get out" she said. "Your kicking me out" I said. "You heard me get your stuff and get out". I shook my head and went to my room. I packed as much as I could. Before I walked out the door I looked back at both of them Ray winked at me and I shook my head and left.

I guess I'm on my own now. I was about to call Nyah to see if I could stay with her but she won't be back for week. She went on vacation. I walked to a bench nearby and tried to think of where to go.