Chapter 51- Visiting Sister and An Idea

"It was a really beautiful ceremony." I tell my mom on the phone. Brad's funeral was yesterday and mom couldn't make it up on time. It's been about 5 days since his death.
"At least he's at peace. And how are the kids?" She asks.  
"The kids are fine. They keep asking where daddy is and I try to tell them what happened but you know." I close the dishwasher door and make my way to the laundry room.
"They'll understand one day."
"I know they will."
"So what are your plans today?"
"Well Chris's sister is coming today for a visit and she's going to be staying with us so I have to go and pick her up in a bit."
"Okay well I'll let you go. Call if you need anything."
"Thanks mom."

I hang up the phone and continue on with my daily chores. The girls are at school while Briella, Kyson and Levi are upstairs watching a movie and playing.
When I'm done all my chores I bring them downstairs to the living room so I can put their shoes on and we can go get Chris's sister, the sister, after all this time, I have yet to meet.

* * * *

We get to the airport and wait outside in the van for her. Finally she comes, husband and all in tow. They load up their luggage and get in the van.

"Sorry for the tight squeeze." I say, watching her husband struggle to fit in amongst the kids.
"Don't worry about it." He smiles at me.
"I'm Julie. And that's my husband George."
"I'm Meghan. And that's Briella, Kyson and Levi." I point to the kids. I sometimes forget that Chris has a big family and not all of them have met my kids yet.
"Awe their adorable." She smiles at them through the mirror.

* * * *

We get back to the house and Julia and George get settled in. When their done they join me in the living room. I'm only watching the news so I'm not very busy.

"You guys have a nice house here. I could only dream of living in a place like this." Julie says, sitting in the chair.
"Well honey, one day you might be."
"Yeah." She looks away from us. "I see a kid running to the door."

I get up off the couch and walk to the patio door to let Levi in.

"I need water." He climbs in the doorway.
"Water it is." I smile.

I give him the sippy cup and he runs back outside to the swingset.

"When do Chris get home?" Julie asks.
"Around 7-7:30."
"Oh well I have some time to do shopping." She stands up. "George, you coming?"
"Nah, I'm gonna stay here."
"Whatever you want." She grabs her purse and leaves the house.

When I have the kids down for a nap I begin to clean up the toys that are scattered around the living room. George is still sat on the love seat, looking out the window.

"I don't think coming here was a good idea." George says to me as I'm folding a blanket.
"What?" I ask, stopping and looking at him.
"Her, seeing you and Chris with all these kids. Living the life she's always dreamed of; I think it's too much for her." I give him a questioning look. "Julie can't have kids. It's impossible. Since she can't have kids we dont feel the need to move out of our apartment."
"Oh. I didn't know." I give him an apologetic look.
"We've been trying forever to find another surrogate but no one meets Julie's standards and of course, she won't adopt."
"Maybe she don't want kids." I say, standing up and pushing the toy bin back onto the shelf.
"I know she does. She always used to talk about it." He sighs.

* * * *

When Chris gets home and supper is done and the kids are ready for bed, Julie goes around and tucks them in for us. I call Chris into our bedroom while I'm in the bathroom, getting ready for bed.

"Yes?" He asks, popping his head in the doorway.
"I have an idea." I smile.

"Uh-oh." Chris chuckles.
"No I'm serious." I say turning to him.

"Julie can't have kids. And she always wanted them."
"Yeah and?" He asks, leaning on the wall. 
"What if I carried one for them?"