Chapter 13- Gunshots and Sisters

I wake up to the sound of a gun shot. We're kind of in the countryside so it makes sense to hear some shots but not this close to the house. I sit up quickly, my heart beating fast. I push the covers off me slowly, not wanting to wake Josh up. He sleeps like a rock but I still try to maneuver around his peacefully. If the house was on fire and the sirens were outside he probably wouldn't even wake up. I go down the hall and to the staircase. I can hear someone yelling outside. I go to walk down when I hear Aunt Linda's footsteps stomp across the floor and to the front door.

"Come on my property again and I'll be sure not to miss! Your not welcome here anymore!" Uncle Lenard yells. I run down the stairs and to the front door. Aunt Linda turns around, a mad look on her face. When she sees me she softens a little bit.

"What was that about?" I ask as we walk into the kitchen. The house has a modern but old look to it. It doesn't lack cosyness though.

"Oh hunny don't even worry about it. I was just about to start breakfast." She says, pulling eggs out of the fridge. I sit at the kitchen island and watch as she does her thing. Aunt Linda has always been good at cooking. I can't wait for her to cook the big supper tonight. She has a large variety of food she cooks every year.

"It's such a nice day." I smile, looking out the large windows. The sun is shining all over the grass and it's reflecting off the lake making it the perfect day to be outside.

"Oh yes. That reminds me, the girls went down to the lake to throw rocks in the water. Lenard went down to check on them." She says, sipping her tea she has laid on the counter when we came in. 

"Thanks for looking out for them." I say, sipping the tea in front of me. Maybe this will be a good weekend.

* * * *

I'm sitting on the couch with Josh looking at photo albums of the girls when they were younger when the front door opens, a whole bunch of people coming in. 

"Who are they?" Josh whispers in my ear.

"Aunt Cora, uncle Leo, cousins Jake, Anna, Sara and Kevin. Following behind are Kevin's kids. Lilly is 7, Hannah is 9 and Owen is 2."

"Wow. Your not lying when you say you have a big family." He chuckles.

"7 aunts, 7 uncles, 10 cousins, and between 5 of those cousins there's 7 kids." I laugh, standing up and walking to the kitchen to greet everyone. I know the whole family is coming I just hope that one particular person doesn't come. If she does, I WILL leave.

After I've said hi to everyone I take Josh's truck into town to grab a few things for Aunt Linda. I went by myself so I could have some quiet time. I pull up to the store and go inside. I'm making my way down the aisles when someone behind me says my name. I turn around and see Natasha stood there.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, hugging her.

"This is where Max lives." She smiles, grabbing a loaf of bread. "What are you doing here?"

"Aunt Linda's reunion. You should drop by. You and Max."

"That would be great." She smiles "Do you think you know who will show up this year?" 
"I don't know. She's pretty brave." I say, rolling my eyes. 

After a while we say our goodbyes and I leave the store after checking out. I'm loading the bags into the truck when I feel a sharp pain in the side of my stomach. I take deep breaths for a few moments before pulling myself up into the truck. I sit in the seat, pushing in on my side, trying to relieve some of the pain. The babies are really kicking up a storm today which is nothing new. I get back to the house and go into the kitchen. I grab a glass of water and take a sip. I feel another pain and drop the glass by an accident. As I bend down to pick up the glass, Josh comes running in. I look up at him and he has a worried look on his face. 

"What happened? Are you okay?" He asks, grabbing the broom from the pantry a few feet away from me. 

"Yeah, clumsy me missed the counter." I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

He gives me a look as if he knows that I'm lying but he doesn't press any further. He knows by now if it was really serious then I would tell him. I go up to the room while he cleans up. I lay down on the bed and turn the tv on. Maybe I just need some rest.

The clock isn't long hitting 6. Everyone is here now and their all outside in the backyard, on the patio, crowded around the fire. It's nice to finally see everyone again. It's been such a long time. No one has asked about Brad yet. Their accepting Josh and treating him like they've met him before. The girls are off playing on the swingset with the other kids which is nice. It's nice to see them having fun with people besides themselves and the kids at school.

"Food is ready!" Aunt Linda yells from the patio. We all go to the tables put together and form a line to take up our food. I get the girls while Josh gets mine and his.

We sit down at our places and begin to eat. Everyone is eating and talking away when Aunt Linda walks out. She gives me a sorry look before moving to the side. Stepping out from behind her is the devil herself. The one I never wanted to see here.

"And you thought a gun would keep me away." She says, smirking at me.

Everyone goes silent and some of them look at me. Josh leans over to me.

"Who is that?" He whispers.

"My sister." I say, slamming my hands on the table. I get up and walk inside passed her. I can hear her chuckle as I walk by but I don't even pay attention. I go up to the girls room and begin to pack their things. We aren't staying here. Someone grabs my hand and pulls me onto the bed. Josh of course.

"How come you've never mentioned her?" He asks, placing my hand in his lap.

"No one talks about her. Not even my parents. She scammed money from the entire family and not to mention almost ruined mine and Brad's wedding."

"Why did she come here?" He asks.

"I don't know. To rub it in she has a better life than us all."

"A better life?"

"Rich husband, travels everywhere. Nice house, nice clothes."

"Should I leave you here alone with her?" He asks in a serious tone. 

I hesitate for a moment before nodding my head slowly. Josh kisses my forehead before we go downstairs again. We take our seats back at the table and everyone stays silent. Except for Rachel of course.

"So sissy, tell me all about your life since I seen you last." She smiles fakely in my direction.

I never told her anything. She doesn't have a right to know anything about my life. I simply remain quiet and don't even look at her. 

 When supper is all over and everyone is around the big fire roasting marshmallows and listening to music, I clear away for Aunt Linda so she can take a break. I'm putting the dishes in the dishwasher when I hear someone pull the stool out from the island. I glance back and see Rachel sitting down. I roll my eyes and turn back around.

"So your pregnant again. By who?" She asks.

"Brad. Who else would it be?" I turn around after I close the dish washer. "What's it even any of your business?"

Before she can answer I walk away. If she's staying and so am I, I have to avoid her. At all costs.

* * * *

It's just after 9 and I have the girls put to bed. I'm still feeling pains in my stomach but their getting worse. I sit on the couch and hold my stomach, trying to not concentrate on the pain but it isn't working. Everyone is still outside so I'm in here alone. I get up from the couch slowly and walk my way to the downstairs bathroom. I hear the back door open but I ignore it. Probably just someone coming in for a refill. I open the bathroom door and lean against the sink. Something isn't right. I can feel it.

"Baby? Where are you?" I hear Josh yell out. Before I get to answer him everything starts spinning and soon it's all black.