Chapter 44- Christmas Morning and A Burger

I wake up the next morning naked with the sun shining in the window. I roll over and lay my head on Chris's chest. I'm so not ready to get up yet but I know that the kids will be awake soon.

"I love you." He says, rubbing my arm with his hand. I look up at him and smile. I didn't expect him to say that. I mean, we always used to say it to each other in a friend way but I know this time he doesn't mean it like that.

"I love you too." I'm about to lean up and kiss him but the bedroom door opens and the kids run in, jumping on the bed.

"Presents!" Levi screams.

I laugh and then am forced to kick them all out of the room so I can get dressed.
I go down to the living room and sit on the couch, watching the kids open their gifts and freak out over the wrapping paper. Sadly after this, they're going to Brad's.

After cleaning up the mess in the living room and getting all the kids dressed I send them out to the van to get into their car seats. I walk into the kitchen where Chris is making a sandwich.

"I'm gonna drive them to Brad's then take Levi to the park." I say, taking a piece of meat off the sandwich.

"Alright. I need to stop at the work site but I'll be home later." He says, kissing me quickly.

I grab my purse off the counter and go out to the van.
* * * *
I spent the whole day with Levi at the park. I let Brad take Briella and Kyson this time which I'm still nervous about but they need to know their father. By the time I get home Levi is so tired he's falling asleep walking in. I take his shoes off for him and lift him up to his bedroom. I tuck him in and then go to do some laundry. I start the washer and leave the room, shutting the door behind me. I go to the living room and sit on the couch, hoping to get a few minutes of peace before Chris gets home and tells me about his day. I hear something upstairs and I look up. I see Levi stood on the stairs, looking at me. I glance at the clock on the wall and it's 7:30. 

"Can't sleep?" I ask, walking up to him. He shakes his head. "Come on."

I grab his hand and we go to his room. I lay down in the bed first and then he climbs in. He snuggles in close to me and closes his eyes. I close mine too, hoping to fall asleep for just an hour.

* * * *

~Chris's POV~

After leaving the work site I go to the burger place to grab a burger. While I'm waiting someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn and see Alana stood there. She hasn't changed a bit from when we used to date.  

"Hi." I say, turning and handing my money to the cashier.

"Hey. What a coincidence your here." She smiles. "How is everything?"
"Good. Just on my way home. How about you?"
"Oh you know. Nothing is ever good in Alana world."

"Why what's going on?" I ask, sitting on a stool. This place is delicious but they never are fast.

"Me and my boyfriend just broke up and he kicked me out a couple days ago. I'm literally living out of my car."

"You have no where to stay? What about your mom?"
"She passed away about a year ago."
"I'm sorry to hear." I say, standing up and taking my bag from the lady. I don't know whether to offer her a place to stay or just forget her. "You can um.. You can stay at my apartment." I say, instantly regretting it.

"Really?"
"Yeah... I'll run to Meghan's and get the spare key. Come on." I say, walking out of the burger place.

The whole ride home all she talks about is her new job she got yesterday and she'll soon be out of the house in about 2 weeks. It's not having her here that I'm worried about. It's about what I'm gonna tell Meghan.

* * * *

We get home and I tell Alana to wait on the couch. I go upstairs to get the key from the room and walk by Levi's room. Meghan and him are in the bed asleep, his arm flung around her neck. Moments like these I'm grateful to be here.

 When she wakes up, it'll be a different story.