Chapter 20- Swimming and A Date

I wake up the next morning to no one next to me. It's 9 so for me this is sleeping in. I push the covers back and stand up. I look into the playpen and see the babies still sleeping. I turn the monitor on, taking one with me. I go down and see Kacey and Jill outside running around with the dog. I go out onto the patio and everyone says good morning. His mom is in her silk pj's, sipping her tea from a large mug on the patio. His dad is reading the paper and has a mug of coffee in his hand. 

"How many times were you up last night?" Linda asks, setting a cup of coffee in front of me.

"3." I say, rubbing my eyes. 
"Are they usually up that much?"
"Usually twice." I say, sipping the coffee. Just what I needed.
"I was thinking of taking the girls swimming today." Josh says, looking at me.
"I think they'd love that." I smile.

"And I was thinking my parents could watch the kids and me and you could go into town for supper? Nothing fancy, just a burger or something."
"Sounds great." I smile.

While everyone cleans up from breakfast I get the girls into bathing suits, dress the babies, dress myself and feed them all. I pack a little bag to bring down with some stuff for the babies since I don't wanna walk up and down the back yard all day. I won't have them out all day anyway but a little fresh air won't hurt. The girls run into the water but I stop them before they go out too far.

"You can't go in alone. Wait for Josh." I say, holding Kacey back with one of my hands. Finally Josh comes, hands me Briella and then goes into the water with the girls. I have a blanket over the babies so no sun gets in on them since their still so little. So far no one is crying so it's all going good. The girls are having so much fun. But it brings back some memories I don't really want to remember. Brad used to do the swimming with the girls too and I'd watch from the shore making sure that everything was okay. Seeing my kids smile is the thing that makes me smile. 
Linda comes down and joins us and a little later Crystal does, bring her kids too. For the rest of the afternoon, we all just enjoy each others company. 
* * * *

My outfit for supper is pretty simple. I brought my brown boots so I thought I would wear those. We take Josh's truck into town and he takes me to this take-out place called Burt's Burgers. We go in and order our food then sit in a booth.

"I feel like I'm in highschool." I chuckle, biting into my burger.

"Me too." He laughs.

"I'm really glad we came this weekend." I smile at him.
"Yano I really wanna make this work out."
"I know. And... I realized I do too. But it's not gonna work if you lie and sneak around." I say, waving a fry at him before putting it in my mouth.
"I know." He says, not looking at me.

"Why Natasha?" I ask, looking at him. "She was my best friend."
"It started when we went gift shopping for the girls. I didn't wanna bring you because I wanted it be a surprise for you all. But then one day she kissed me and I knew for her it was more than what it was for me." He explains. I can tell he's being serious.

"And that's when you told her you didn't feel the same?" I ask, turning serious myself.
"Yes. And then she trashed the house." He reaches out and grabs my hand. "I know your not ready for marriage again and I understand that now. We don't have to go that far. But I would like to move back in with you."

"I'd like that too." I smile. 

I get up and lean across the table, planting a kiss on his lips. I sit back down and stare at him. I sure hope I'm making the right choice. I take a bite of my burger and I'm about to speak when Josh's phone rings. He answers it and right away his face goes serious. He mumbles a few things and then hangs the phone up 

"What's wrong?" I ask, looking at him with worried eyes.

"Kacey's sick."