Chapter 31- Storm and A Letter

*Flashback*

I wake up, wrapped in Brad's arms. Every morning we take sometime and just relax before our busy days get the best of us. I squeeze my arms around him one last time before attempting to get up. I'm halfway there when he pulls me back down into his arms, the sheets engulfing my body again.

"What are you doing?" I ask, a smile on my face even though I'm slightly annoyed.

"I don't want you to go anywhere. I'm not ready to let you go."
"We both have to go and lead productive lives." I chuckle.
"Just a few more minutes." He says into my hair before planting a kiss on my head.
"Brad." I say, sitting up and holding the sheet around my body. "I. Need. To. Go. To school." 
"Fine." He says, throwing his arms down in defeat. 
"Thank you." I smile, leaning down and planting a quick kiss on his lips.
 I walk to the bathroom, hearing him groan behind me as he watches my naked body walk to the bathroom. 

"Why do you do this to me?" He calls out as I shut the door. All I do is laugh and turn the water on in the shower. Could this life get any better?  

That was the night I first had sex. That was the night I knew he was the one. We waited a while before having sex. I was young and wasn't ready and he respected that. He also told me I was all he ever wanted. Never would I have imagined on that night that this is where I would be. Today I went back to work but now I'm home, supper is cooked, eaten and cleaned up from and the girls are out back with Chris playing on the swing set. The dog is lid next to me as I sit on the couch watching some tv. Briella is wake on the floor in front of me while Kyson is asleep in his swing by the living room window. I listen as Briella giggles in front of me, something I love hearing. But it's getting late and it's time for the kids to head to bed. While I love hearing their stories and their giggles, I also love bedtime when all is quiet and it's just me and the dog. I get off the couch, picking Briella up and going over to the patio doors.

"Time for bed!" I call out. The girls come running over to me, whining when they get to me. 

"But it's so early." Jill says, looking up at me with tired eyes. 

"It's 7:00 now get your butts upstairs." I chuckle, watching them mope inside and up the stairs. 

When everyone is inside and ready for bed I turn their tv on so they can watch it for a while and I go downstairs. Chris is sat on the couch drinking a coffee. I sit next to him and glance outside.

"Man the weather turned pretty quick." I say to him. It was sunny most of the day but now it's cloudy and the rain is coming down pretty hard.

"Let's hope it clears off." He says, pulling a blanket off the couch and putting it over the two of us. He switches the channel over to the news and looks down at his phone. "So I was thinking maybe this Friday we could go over to the new restaurant on 6th street. I heard they have good steaks." 
"Are you asking me out on a date?" I ask, looking at him with a smile.
"Kind of." He smirks. I look at him before going back to the tv. The weather channel is on to see how much rain we're gonna get but all I see is a word that freaks me out more than anything else.
"Tornado." Is all I say.
"What?" He asks, looking at me with a confused face. I point to the tv and he jumps off the couch, finally seeing what I'm seeing.

A tornado. In all my time living here I've never had a tornado warning this close to my house. I should've known this area we moved too always gets them. When we have the kids we go down to the basement which is where we planned to go in a situation like this. As soon as we get down there the kids are all asleep again, hardly even fazed by the fact we're in the basement and could be hit with a tornado. Chris lays a blanket over them while I make a little bed of blankets for the babies.

"This is just what we need. Our house getting torn apart by a tornado." I say. I stop when I realize what I said. "Not ours.. I mean.. Mine."
"I doubt it'll even come this way." He says, completely dodging a response.

"It better not or I will freak out." I say, leaning my head against the wall behind me. 
* * * *

We all slept down in the basement last night. Chris went home to change and school was cancelled for the kids due to some areas being hit hard with the rain and the wind.  We have trees blown over in the yard, the swingset blew over and debris from other houses has been blown into our yard. Today, since work was cancelled until tomorrow, I'll be cleaning up around the house. I bring the monitor out front with me and lay the babies in their cribs. I head out front to begin picking up branches and things. Chris is gonna come over with his truck later and we'll tow it all away. I'm beginning to break a sweat when someone comes down the driveway. It's a black SUV and there's 2 of them. They look really official. A well dressed woman steps out of the second vehicle and I question who's in the first one. 

"Are you Meghan?" The lady asks me, coming across the grass.

"Yeah that's me." I say, wiping a bead of sweat off my forehead.
"We've been asked to drop this off to you." She says, handing me an orange envelope. I take it and hold it in my hand.

"What is it?" I ask, looking at her.
"You may wanna read it for yourself. We're just in charge of dropping it off." She says, turning and walking away.

When their gone I head inside to read the contents inside.
When I do, I can't believe what I read.