Chapter 23- Invitations and Work

For the past week I've been crying and lying in bed. My mom took an emergency flight down here with my dad and their both helping me out. Along with everyone else around me. Even Josh's mom is trying to reach out to me. As of right now I don't want any contact with his family but that's hard to do when the father of my kids is dating his sister. Right now I'm on the way to pick them up and then we're gonna go to a farm. They're gonna pet the animals and things like that. I pull into Brads driveway. I pray to God he doesn't come out to speak to me. Having another person ask how I am or if I need anything will only make it worse. I only get out of the van and open the door. The house door opens and the kids come running down to me. I hug them and kiss them and then buckle them up. I look at the door and see Chris stood there smiling. I wave then pull out of the driveway.

"So where's daddy?" I ask, glancing in the mirror at them.
"He's at work." Kacey tells me.

****

When we get to the farm I put the babies in the stroller and get the girls out of the car.

"Who's ready to go have fun!" I say excitedly for the sake of the children. Truth is I'm not excited but I figured they don't do much with Brad on the weekends so a farm visit would be nice.
When we're all paid for the first thing they run for is the bouncy castle that's there. After about an hour of bouncy castles and games we make our way to the food part. We get fries and hot dogs. I'm looking around the crowded place for a table when I see someones hand waving at me and pointing down to a table. Macy. 

"Are we gonna sit by Macy?" Jill asks, looking up at me. 

"Sure." I put on the best smile I can and we go over and sit next to her.

"Who are you here with?" I ask, laying the food in front of the girls.
"One of my best friends. She took the girls for cotton candy."

I don't say anything, I just smile, hoping she won't bring up Josh.

****
The farm went pretty well. After lunch I made an excuse that we had someone waiting for us and I broke away from Macy. Now we're home again and mom is cooking supper. The girls are out back playing on the swing set and the babies are asleep upstairs. I'm sat on the couch reading emails from my previous boss. We've been talking since yesterday about me coming back to the wedding shop until I get into photography more. She's been my good friend for a few years and she says having a raise, given all the hard work I've done in the past, is not too much to ask for. I start back tomorrow, which is Monday. A little bit rushed for my liking's but I can do it.

"Hey mom?" I ask, standing up and walking to the kitchen. I lean on the counter, watching every move she makes.

"Yeah." She says, glancing at me.
"Do you mind staying for a little extra while? Just until I get back into the swing of work and kids."
"Work?!" She exclaims. She comes around the counter and hugs me. "Are you sure you're ready for that?"

"I have to be. If I don't I'll be poor."
"Your a strong woman." She says, pointing the sauce stirring stick at me. Some of it drips on the floor making me chuckle.

"Mom, your dripping."

* * * *
A Monday morning now including work is something different. Instead of just getting the kids ready I have to get myself ready. And on top of all this I still have after school activities and everything in between. Right now mom is cooking them breakfast while I get myself ready. Until I call the daycare mom is watching them for me. Plus the wedding shop isn't too far from the house so I'll be able to come home some days on lunch break.

When I'm done getting ready I grab the girls bags and they run out the door. I say bye to mom and the babies and then go to the van. Before backing out of the driveway I roll the window down and check the mailbox. I pull out an envelope. I open it and see it's an invitation to my sisters wedding. Why would she invite me to her wedding? Probably has something she wants to rub in my face.