Chapter Twenty-Nine - It's Complicated

Start from the beginning

***

         I make my way downstairs and walk towards the kitchen. Popping my head around the door, I see Brenda and my mother rapidly preparing the last things for dinner.

         "Do you need some help?" I ask, striding into the kitchen and walking up to the middle island.

         Brenda glances up at me, her eyes glinting as she smiles happily at me.

         "We're fine, thank you, darling." She speaks, gathering enough a handful of cutlery in her hands, for us to use with our meal.

         "Are you—" My voice is interrupted as the landline phone starts to ring, the shrill sound echoes through the kitchen.

         "Could you get that, sweetie?" Brenda turns to me, gesturing with her hand towards the phone, which is plugged into its stand on the countertop at the far corner.

         "Sure." I nod, walking around the island and reaching for the phone.

         After pressing the green button, I speak into the receiver.

         "Hello, Parker residence."

         My eyes widen at what I've just said; I want to slap myself for saying it. Who the fuck says that? Oh my god.

         "Hi, it's Dr. Rallen from Colston Royal Hospital. I was wondering if River Parker is available at the moment?"

         As soon as the man's word reach my ears, my heart beat accelerates, and my throat narrows in on itself, making it hard to swallow. It takes a moment to click, but my thoughts lead me straight to Emily.

         "Uh..." I lick my lips and swallow. "Yeah, he's..." I start to the kitchen door, hoping to rush up to River's bedroom.

         Nonetheless, on my backward step, I end up knocking into someone from behind. I turn sharply on my heels, already knowing it's the person who this phone call is for. The intensity of his melted-chocolate eyes makes me want to hug him.

         Something isn't right. Suddenly, the phone feels like a hundred pound weight in my hand, and it seems wrong for me to give it to River. He shouldn't have to face this alone. 

         "Dr. Rallen from Colston Hospital," I tell him, hushedly.

         At the mention, his eyes widen slightly – only slightly, but that's enough to confirm that he's been expecting this call. His body stiffens, in the same way it did when he found out that I was punched. Slowly, hesitantly, he brings the phone up to his ear, inhales, and then speaks.

***

         "I think you should go up, darling," Brenda tells me, snapping me out of my hundredth trance today.

         My eyes dart from the floor – where River stood only several moments ago before he stalked out of the kitchen – and meet with Brenda's.

         "What do you mean?" I ask, surprised.

         "I think River needs someone up there with him at the moment." She explains, urging me to go upstairs.

         I shake my head. "With all due respect, but I think I'm the last person he wants to see right now."

         Her eyes narrow. "Lea, I'm not sure where you've got that idea from, but if River wants anyone at the moment, it's definitely you."