[6] A Strange Encounter

Start from the beginning

          Nothing happened.

          “Does this make you more comfortable? Woman seem to prefer this body rather than my other one,” he stated, beginning to walk closer.

          “Don’t come any closer,” I said, trying to sound like I wasn’t intimidated. However, my voice cracked and gave me away.

          “Do not fear, Rachel Cooper. I will not hurt you,” the man said, running a hand through his golden hair.

          “How do you know my name?” I demanded, continuing to keep my distance. Surreptitiously, I glanced around for routes of possible escape.

          “That is also a secret. I am assuming you do not recognize where you are? That is because I altered your perspective. You’re seeing what I want you to see,” he grinned as a purple striped zebra appeared in front of me. As soon as it came, it disappeared.

          I slapped a hand over my eyes, pinching my cheeks in the process. I was dreaming, I was dreaming, I was dreaming…

          “You are not dreaming, Rachel Cooper,” he said, taking a few steps closer to me.

          He could read my thoughts?

          “Yes, I can,” he told me. “I am quite impressive, am I not?”

          I decided not to dignify that with a response.

          “Anyways, you are probably wondering what you are doing here. Or are you wondering what I am doing here? Or both?”

          “Both,” I said, feeling lightheaded. Any second now I would wake up. Something needed to assure me that I wasn’t dreaming.

          Suddenly ice water was poured over my head, causing me to gasp in surprise. “Does that assure you that you are awake?” The man asked me.

          I nodded quickly, not prepared to get more water thrown on me if I said no.

          “So, to answer your questions. Let us see, where should I begin? Actually, I will keep this short and sweet,” he said.

I noticed that he never used contractions when he spoke. He said ‘I am’ instead of ‘I’m’. He said ‘let us’ instead of ‘let’s’.

          “That is because it is the proper way to speak, Rachel Cooper,” he sighed.

          I really needed to figure out how to keep my thoughts to myself.

          “That can be done,” he added.

          “Stop that!” I yelled.

          “Why? Does it bother you that I can search through your mind?” The man smirked, looking thoughtful. “Oh, a fight with your best friend. A ghost? Oh, gosh. This is just too funny. Your guardian is your best friend?”

          “Stop!” I yelled, yet again.

          “A new job with the famous magician William Larkin,” he taunted, knowing that I was feeling more uneasy by the minute. “Oh, William Larkin…I have been looking for him high and low. Do tell him I say hello.”

          “Can you get to the point?” I demanded and then added, “and stop shuffling through my mind?”  

          “What’s the magic word?” the man sing-songed.