Will You Stay Away Forever? 16

“It’s about freaking time!” Brian complained when Chloe stepped into his living room. His voice made her jerk, she didn’t expect to see him there because he said that he was going to meet Brent and Johnny Salas.

Shit, Brian!” Chloe clenched her chest and dropper her purse to the floor. “Why are you here so early? I thought you were hanging out with your brothers…I just came to grab some of my stuff…” She tried playing it innocent.

She walked up to Brian and delicately cupped his face with the palm of her hand before leaning in to sweetly kiss his warm lips. Surprisingly, she didn’t get the response she wanted from him so she pulled away, frowning.

“What’s wrong?” Chloe pouted and caressed Brian’s shoulders through his white t-shirt. Her eyes fell on the shiny metal necklace around Brian’s neck.

Brian sighed and then he looked into her innocent turquoise eyes, there was something very stern in his gaze. “Just wondering where you’ve been…I got the guitar you wanted for your brother, it’s a custom one of mine, is that fine?” Brian tried avoiding her.

She followed his gaze to a black guitar case that stood by the stairs, “Thanks Bri.” Chloe said awkwardly. “He would love it.” She thanked him.

Brian exhaled deeply, “You didn’t answer me.” He said calmly, “I’ve been waiting for you, where have you been?” Brian question made Chloe’s stomach turn.

“Just met an old friend, we had some catching up to do…” Chloe said, not completely truthfully. She tried soothing Brian by caressing his arms as the tension between them was making them both terribly uncomfortable.

“An old friend?” Brian cocked an eyebrow. He knew Chloe way too well, and could easily tell when she was keeping something away from him. “Megan?” He asked.

“No…” Chloe couldn’t lie and looked away.

“Alright…” Brian said sourly as he gave in. His frown said it all while he stepped away from Chloe and quickly left for the kitchen, where Pinkly began barking, asking for food.

Chloe reluctantly followed Brian to the kitchen where she observed as he fed the tiny, white ball of fur. She burnt with the desire and need to share with Brian what she had just witnessed at Melody’s.

Chloe rested against the counter and the confession just rolled off her tongue, “It’s Melody, the friend I saw.” She said.

Brian was so taken aback that he managed to spill half of the packet of Pinkly’s dry dog food into the plastic bowl. “What?” He asked, turning around to face Chloe.

“Brian! she’s a mess!” Chloe called when she saw his shocked and angry expression.

“I told you not to do this!” Brian hissed and walked up to her, looking her in the eyes.

“Brian, she locked herself inside of her apartment and all she does is fucking paint, drink and smoke! She’s a godamn train wreck!” Chloe insisted, not understanding what was so wrong about her visiting Mel.

“Chloe, listen. I know you’re all about doing the right thing and all the jazz but you gotta understand that when…that happened, Melody just cut everyone off. She stopped speaking to us, you saw it yourself! She didn’t even show up to Matt’s wedding, what kind of a friend does that?” Brian asked.

Chloe’s jaw dropped, “A friend who’s grieving! Who’s fucking devastated?! Brian, how can you guys be so careless!?” Chloe gasped, taken aback by their indifference.