Will You Stay Away Forever? 53

“No Mama, there’s no need to close the entire boutique down just for us to shop ‘calmly’, I’m perfectly fine with having other people around…” Chloe told her mother politely. Honestly, she was beginning to feel fed up with her mother’s spendthrift lifestyle.

“Kaja I understand but since we have this option we might as well take advantage of it, don’t you think?” Agnes asked, not grasping her daughter’s perspective of life.

“Mom listen, If I wanted to go to social events, promote, model and carelessly wasting money I would’ve stayed in Norway, Okay? I like me life here, it’s peaceful and laid back, I don’t want publicity…” Chloe sighed.

“But you’re a Laursen!” Agnes gasped expressing her fixated conservative nature.

“But this name doesn’t ring a bell to anyone in California!” Chloe called desperately. “No one knows who I am! The only people who recognize me are preppy European snobs! And I’m fine with it, really! I just need a break…” She sighed.

“And having a child with a rock star is your solution to your ‘publicity’ issue?” Agnes cocked an eyebrow.

“Wha-Mom Brian had nothing to do with this! He’s my partner, and I love life with him and I’m happy, why is it so hard for you to come to terms with the fact that I just want to lead a quiet lifestyle. You know how much I hated it in Norway…people fucking photographed me in the grocery store!” Chloe hissed.

“Kaja watch your language, is it something you’ve picked up from your new friends here?” Agnes asked coldly, hating having her authority questioned.

Chloe’s jaw dropped to the floor. “Mom I’m a grown woman, I can say whatever I want!  So that’s the real problem isn’t it? You don’t like Brian?” Chloe crossed her arms over her chest.

“Brian is nice. I just don’t see why my oldest, smartest daughter has to run off with a guitarist while she has successful businessmen and heirs waiting at her doorstep!” Agnes blurted out.

“Because I don’t want to date some douche bag that only cares about his bank account and is probably secretly gay!” Chloe yelled.

“Right, and getting engaged to a guy who uses more hairspray than you do is certainly better…” Agnes muttered.

“Mom, listen to me, and listen to me well. You surrendered to your family’s demands! You married dad when you were 20 years old. And yes, Dad is an amazing person but he’s also one of richest men in Europe which means that you’ll have to take the backseat, and always be one step behind him. And I don’t want this, okay?” Chloe said softly but Agnes refused to reply and only smacked her lips together.

“Mom Brian is good to me, we love each other unconditionally…He’s loyal and true, he makes me laugh and he’s the only man I’m willing to spend my life with, okay? I care neither for his job nor his money….” Chloe said and sat down on the couch by her mother.

“I just want you to be happy…” Agnes said softly.

“Mom I AM happy, okay? Trust me on this one.” Chloe smiled broadly and hugged her mother’s side. “There’s nothing right now I need more than your support.” Chloe confessed. “He’s a good guy.”

Agnes gulped and then smoothed her blouse. “Alright Kaja, I’ll take your word for it-“ Her sentence was cut by the doorbell. “I’ll get it.” Agnes stated and got off the couch. Chloe nodded, knowing that her mother needed to get away from the unpleasant conversation.

Chloe felt the same way and headed for the kitchen, stretching her arms in order to eas on the sore muscles of her back. “Kaja? There’s a package for you!” Agnes called from the hall and Chloe stopped halfway and turned around.