thirty-four // you can't wake up. this is not a dream

--Josh's P.O.V--

I waited for a good twenty minutes for Tyler to come back from Courtney's house and when he finally did, he did something I didn't expect. Tyler Joseph burst into tears as he pulled my body into a hug. It was like he was hanging onto me like I was his only chance at survival.

Tyler didn't cry very often. When he did, it was usually over one of his demons or Courtney, who was basically considered his ultimate weakness. Since he came from her house, I was guessing they got into a fight.

I didn't bother to ask him what was wrong until he calmed down. He kept saying things that I couldn't make out through his tears. However, I was pretty sure I heard him say something about how he never had a chance with Courtney anyway.

When his sobs were finally reduced to loud hiccups, I asked for him to explain what was going on. The moment the words "she's pregnant," left his mouth, I went into shock. I knew that Pierre and Courtney became one that night, but I never would have thought it would have ended in a baby being in her stomach. I figured Pierre would have been smarter.

"I never truly had a chance, did I, Josh? As soon as Pierre came into the picture, I became nonexistent to her. It was like her feelings for me were automatically transferred to Pierre. This all my fault. If I hadn't left the mental hospital in the first place, everything would be okay."

What Tyler didn't realize was that he didn't have a choice in leaving the hospital. He was noticeably feeling happier than when he entered, meaning that he no longer needed treatment. The facility couldn't keep him just because he wanted to stay. Besides, Courtney's condition was far worse than his would had ever been. Honestly, it was a miracle that the staff allowed her to sign out when she turned eighteen.

Maybe they considered her one of their broken cases, somebody they couldn't treat. Based on the little information I've heard from Tyler, she would get better for a few weeks and then randomly go back  down to where she started. That had to frustrate the people that were assigned to her case. 

"Love is tricky subject, Tyler," I began slowly. "It's very painful to endure, but in the end it usually becomes worth it. However, when you love someone and that person is with someone else, it's utter hell and I wish I could help you in some way."

My best friend's heart was breaking and there was nothing I could do. It was one of the worst feelings in the world.

"Do you miss Debby?" Tyler asked, quietly. "Would you get back together with her if she wanted to?"

I nodded with hesitation. "In a heartbeat I would. Nothing can ever replace what Debby and I had and I honestly don't think I will ever love anyone as much as I loved her."

"Now, you understand what I feel about Courtney," he muttered. "And I screwed it all up by not dumping Jenna as soon as Courtney came back. She could have been with me now instead of Pierre."

There was no use in telling Tyler that he couldn't change the past. He was going to regret everything for the rest of his life and that has been known to drive people insane.

I sighed, putting my head in my hands. Little innocent Courtney, whom I had a small crush on, was going to be a mother. That statement just sounded totally wrong in my head. Two nineteen year olds were going to be parents and this situation was absolutely bizarre.

"Okay, tell you what we are going to do, Tyler," I said, wrapping my arm around his shoulders. "We are going to go order a bunch of food from Taco Bell and then we are going to come back here and play Mario Kart and Happy Wheels."

Tyler smiled, weakly. "Yes, dog breath."

--Courtney's P.O.V--

Pierre's plane flew in around eight or nine at night and I texted him my address and told him just to come on in since my mom and siblings were at some business thing for her work. She turned to get me to go, but I politely declined and said that I felt tired.