Things You Can't Outrun 3

"We met when we were working on the particle accelerator. He was the structural engineer." Caitlyn murmured. "We were very different. You might've noticed I can be a bit guarded. He used to say we were like fire and ice. He wasn't even supposed to be there that night. He was just there for me. He hadn't-"

The machine beeped cutting Caitlyn off and she went over to it.

"It says there were no residue left in the tissue. Poisonous or otherwise." Caitlyn read the paper.

"It must've evaporated. We need a fresh sample." Barry stated.

"Wait this can't be right." Caitlyn walked over to Barry and placed the paper on his desk. "It says that there were two types of DNA in the tissue."

Barry ran the DNA and a few minutes later it came out, "There's no match in the system."

"How can a chemical leave behind another person's DNA?" Caitlyn asked looking at the computer again.

"What if what we're looking for doesn't control the gas? What if he becomes it?" Barry asked. He immediately picked up the encrypted phone and dialed the number. "Caitlyn I'll be right back okay?"

"Sure." She replied.

Kota looked at the phone and glanced at Dr. Wells, "I have to take this." She walked out into the hall and put the phone to her ear, "What is it?"

"Listen. The man becomes the gas. He doesn't control it. I want you to stay out of this one. You can't outrun this one." Barry insisted. "Please."

"Fine. You better get here." Dakota hung up the phone and went back in the Cortex.

"All units we have reports of a toxic gas attack at the mall." The police scanner anounnced.

Barry grabbed his suit from the locker.

"It's too dangerous." Caitlyn argued.

"I have to." Barry murmured.

He took off like a bat out of hell.

"I hacked into the mall system and witnesses say the attack was in the elevator at the north wing." Cisco said into the microphone.

"Where's the north wing?" Barry asked coming into the mall.

"The one with the Big Belly Burger." Wells cut Cisco off.

Dakota looked at him slightly amused.

"I eat." Wells said.

Barry reached the north wing and knelt in front of the woman. She was dead. He looked around and found an exit door cracked open with the gas going through. He chased after the gas and stopped in the hallway.

"Why did you kill that woman?!" Barry demanded.

The gas man turned around, "She deserved to die."

Barry ran at him and punched the gas man but he just turned into...well, gas. The gas man punched Barry twice knocking him down. He got back up and tried to punch the gas man again. He dissolved into gas, moving behind Barry and formed a giant gas ball in the shape of a fist. The gas fist hit Barry and then proceeded into Barry's nose and throat.

He grasped at his throat gasping for air.