Prologue

14 Years Ago

Eleven year old Dakota Miller lies in her bed, dreaming. Downstairs her parents were having a conversation about work. Both of them work at the FBI; her mother being a forensic scientist and her father being an agent.

Suddenly, a man stormed into the house a gun pointed at the parents. Dakota heard this and had slowly gotten out of bed. Her parents always told her that if someone were to break into the house that she would run. Run to her friend's house a few blocks away.

But she slowly crawled to the top of the stairs and peeked beneath the wall. She saw the man shoot her parents in cold blood. It took all of the strength in her not to scream.

Barry's Allen didn't live in his own home anymore. A month ago his mother was murdered and his father was sent to prison. Barry now lives at the West residence which is even closer.

Dakota grabbed her favorite hat and opened the window in her room. No matter how much she wanted to stop the man, she had to listen to her parents. She climbed out the window and jumped onto the soft grass that was freshly mown that day.

She ran. She ran and ran until she got to Joe's house. She banged on the door, tears threatening to explode. Joe opened the door and let her inside.

"Kota, what's wrong? What's wrong sweetie?" He asked grabbing her shoulders, squatting in front of her.

"There was a man. He came in the house. I ran. My parents always told me to run here if something happened." Dakota was choking out sobs now.

Joe led her to the stairs, "You go up to Barry's room, okay? I'll call for help."

Dakota sadly went up the stairs and went into Barry's room. He was awake, must've heard the banging.

"Kota what are you doing here?" He asked.

"My parents....they're in trouble...." She whispered.

Barry wrapped his arms around her and let her cry, "It's okay...it'll be okay..."

Later that night Joe came back and told Dakota her parents were gone and that she would never see them again. Joe also said that she would be staying with him until she was an adult and that there's an extra room for her. Dakota silently thanked him.

The night her parents died was the night Dakota decided she was going to train. To be a hero. To save families. To be like her parents, in a more violent way.

The night her parents died was the night the little girl known as Dakota died too. Instead she would be reborn as a hero.