Chapter 25

~recap~

Then I remembered everything. Rayna, the bursts of light, Karma taking my soul, and all the memories. I closed my eyes and pictured the whole thing going down.

"Who-who are you?" I asked.

"Chase,"the voice replied.

Wait why was Chase there?

~end of recap~

He came over and started to tend to my cuts. There was an awkward silence between us. We haven't really talked since the New Years Eve thing which didn't turn out. Once he finished, he went to go check the fire. I was really uncomfortable. I couldn't tell if felt the same but I think he does. I would have left by now but I can barely sit up. I hope someone is looking for me because I don't want to stay here forever in this awkwardness. I leaned my head on the tree.

"Do you know who I am?" Chase said.

"Yea, you're Chase." I replied.

"Hmm. How long have you known me," he asked.

"Since we were five so ten years," I said.

"How come you didn't know my name earlier?" he asked.

"Probably because I was in shock from Karma," I said.

He turned back the fire. All I could do was close my eyes and hope that someone will find me. While I was drifting away to sleep I heard people yelling. They were yelling Emma! Emma, where are you? I was starting to answer but my voice was faint. Then I heard ruffling of the leaves. They were coming. I could sense them. Why hadn't they came earlier? I felt a smile creeping over on my face. I couldn't open my eyes. The darkness was calling me. I saw a faint light and it was very enticing. Then I saw my mothers face, she was smiling at me. She had her hand reaching out for me and I was going to grab it. I will get to see her, touch her, talk to her, and walk with her. Finally I could be at peace and not worry about all the other people, especially their problems.

~Derrick P.O.V~

The search for her was getting harder. No one has heard from her since the battle we had. Rayna said that Chase took her somewhere but how can we trust her after this. I can't believe I actually dated her. She could be anywhere in this forest. We have Rayna with us so she can't talk to Karma anymore. All this time she wanted to friends with Zoey but we see that she just wanted to get close to her to bring her down. The people who were with me are: Travis, Gracelynn, Camira, and Gracelynn. Lydia went back to the hideout with Timothy. We also have Candace and she is on Rayna watch which she volunteered for. Last time I saw her she was barely alive and could barely talk. She lost her strength. I remembered the last time I talked to her. We arguing about going to find Karma. She asked me,'will you come?' I said,'fine but only if you convince Travis and goodluck with that.' She stared at me and said,'challenge accepted.'  I looked down at the ground. I wished that I would have agreed with her. 

"Don't worry, we'll find her." Gracelynn said while putting her hand on my shoulder.

"I know. I just wish that I was there to stop here." I said.

"Derrick, don't beat yourself up like this. We will find her." she said

I nodded and we kept walking. They couldn't have gone far. Travis even said that there was no way. The had to be only a few miles away. This is all my fault. I should have been there when she went on the elevator. I could have stopped her. I could have saved her but I wasn't there. I saw smoke from a fire we were getting closer. I pointed to it and they all saw. They started to run but I stopped them.

"Guys, we can only take the strongest because Chase will put up a fight for her." I said.

They all nodded and agreed.

"Candace and I will go. You guys stay a few feet back and watch Rayna." I said.

Candace went along with me to the source of the fire. We could smell the smoke of the fire. We heard Chase talking to her. I looked at Candace and she looked at me. We both nodded at each other. It was time to get her back. We came through the bushes and I saw her. Her head was leaned back on the tree. Chase looked from the fire to us. He was emotionless. He just looked at us and nodded. I ran over to her and Candace kept her eyes on Chase just in case he pulled out a knife or something. I picked her up in my arms. She was barely breathing. She was dying. Dying right in my arms. I shook my head and stood up. I started to run soon Candace and Chase followed. The others started to run when I passed them as well but they couldn't keep up with me. I ran through the underground building where I found Timothy. I laid her on the bed next to him. He called the nurses and doctors to report here now. Lydia came over. No, not Lydia. She came skipping along hoping to give her sister a hug but when she came. Lydia froze. Her mouth dropped open and tears were coming down her little cheeks. She looked at me then Zoey. She knew that her sister was almost dead. She held on to me and turned her face in my leg. She started crying. I picked her up to calm her down but she just cried onto my shoulder. When the doctors came they took her away. Lydia and I were left there then the rest came.

Gracelynn walked forward and said,"What happened?"

"Um, she is dying." I said.

They all looked back at each other and then back at me. Gracelynn and Camira started crying. Candace doesn't show emotion so I didn't know how she felt. Chase walked away from us. Travis kept rubbing the back of his neck. Timothy came back to us and said that Lydia needed to see her. I stood up with Lydia in my arms and we went to see Zoey. We walked into the room and she was hooked up to a ventilator. I put Lydia down and she walked over to her. She grabbed her hand and started to cry even more.

"Zoey, pl-please don't go. I-I only have you. Don't leave me like mo-mommy did." she said through her sobs.

She got on her bed and gave Zoey a hug. She was holding on to her for dear life. I walked up towards them. Lydia looked at me and nodded at me. I grabbed Zoeys hand.

"Zoey, if this is the last time I will get talk to you; I want you to know that I will only love you. No girl could ever replace you. Please don't leave us. We all need you." I said gripping her hand tighter.

Lydia got back on the ground and walked over to where I was. I just stood there for a few minutes staring at her. Her gorgeous brown hair was placed gently on her pillow. I raised her hand to my lips and I kissed it. I bent down and kissed the side of her cheek. Then I picked up Lydia and we walked out. Hoping that this wasn't the last time I see her. Lydia cried so much that she wore herself out and now sleeping in my arms. I stayed with Lydia the whole night because if I didn't she would come to me. She opened her eyes a little and her blue eyes were even more blue because of her tears.

"Zoey, really likes you." she said in a low whisper and went back to sleep.

I really like her too. I said to myself. I couldn't sleep all I could think about was Zoey. Every time I closed my eyes I saw every memory we had together. The one that haunted me the most was her dying in my arms. Don't go. Please don't go.