Chapter Twenty Seven - In The Dark

Under the glow of the night, my heart sank at the sight of Daniele's face that was contorted in pain. He was kneeling as he held his left shoulder that was bleeding profusely. The metallic scent of his blood that infiltrated the air made my head ache and my knees weak. I felt the gun slipping out of my grasp as I stared at the man I just shot. But how can this be? Why is he here? I thought as the questions flooded my mind.

Is he going to die? I thought as the gun finally landed on the ground near my feet. I was not able to move as I felt the crippling fear snake all over my body. All I can do was watch Daniele as he struggled to stand and walk towards me.

"It's me, Rosalie." Daniele said with a strained voice when he finally reached me. His face that used to be so lively was utterly drained of color. His usual elegantly-styled raven hair was messy and his gray dress shirt was covered with blood. His dark coat fell as he leaned towards my neck and just stayed there. His body slowly began to give out and this caused my arms to automatically wrap around him in order to catch him as he lost his balance. His weight made me take a few steps back as I positioned myself to lean on the trunk of the tree behind me.

"Daniele, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." My voice cracked as the tears fell from my eyes. "It was an accident. I didn't know that you were-"

"It's okay." Daniele replied as he looked at me from under his lashes. With him this close, I can evidently see the exhaustion in his gray eyes. But at the same time, it was full of relief. Was he relieved that he finally found me? Has he really been searching for me all this time? My heart broke just by thinking of it and the realization didn't help ease the tears.

My eyes landed once again on his blood-soaked shirt, causing my breath to hitch. I tried to mentally calm myself because I need to be strong for the both of us. "We need to get out of here and- and get help. I'll get you to a hospital, okay?" My voice came out hoarse.

"I'm just glad that you're safe, dolcezza." He said with a sigh as he closed his eyes to nuzzle my neck. "If it's you then I guess it's okay, una specie di morte che un killer non merita."

A kind of death a killer does not deserve.

"It's not okay. We have to leave." I need to help Daniele. I need to get him out of here before Niccolo's men find us. "We need to get out of here or Niccolo... they- they'll find us then kill us."

"Don't worry, Rosalie." It was the only thing Daniele said when he ignored my plea. The way he said those words with no hint of concern slightly made me angry. He can't tell me not to worry especially with the situation that we're in now. Doesn't he realize the danger our lives are in?

"Daniele, please." I desperately tried to position us both in a way so that I can support him to walk but Daniele was too weak to be able to move. My lips trembled as the tears continue to fall.

The more we stayed there, the more Daniele will lose blood and the more Niccolo will finally reach us. I felt so useless. I don't want us to die. Somehow, I found myself wishing for a miracle to happen. I wish someone would come and help us.

"Rosalie." Daniele called softly. "I'm sorry."

"Why? I should be the one apologizing." I replied.

"If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have been in this situation."

So that was what he meant, I thought. I looked at him and saw that he still had his eyes closed. It briefly reminded me of that time that I saved him in Kaohsiung. I didn't recognize him then because he had a full beard and his hair was quite long too when that happened. I also remember how he had a few scars all over his body. Despite the fact that he might die, he was used to it. I guess that is why he was not bothered by a bit by the amount of blood he was losing.