Chapter Thirteen - Spice Up The Night

"Where are we going exactly?" I asked for about the tenth time already as we walked from corner to corner into different streets.

"It's still a surprise, my sweet patient Rosalie." He said as he continued to pull me towards downtown Vegas where the streets are lined up with open fast food restaurants, food stalls, and small district nightclubs. It was very different from the central area of the city and the people here were more average and normal-looking. More like me and a lot less like Daniele.

Finally, we stopped in front of a small diner that has an improvised tarpaulin canopy that was over its entrance. There was also a green tarpaulin on the left side but this time, a menu was written on it in bright red letters. My eyes widened as I read the names of the food. Bluefin tuna, squid, pork noodles, chow mein, new row mian... I covered my mouth in glee as my eyes took in the sight. Oh my god, it's Taiwanese food!

I almost jumped in happiness. Since I've been here, I haven't eaten anything that I was used to. It was always pasta, beef and vegetables, and delicacies I wasn't familiar with. But now, seeing a place that cooks and sells my type of food, I'm just famished.

"See? I told you, you would love it." Daniele grinned as he put his hands inside his pants pocket. He's right, I do love it!

"How did you find this?" I asked, my voice rising in disbelief. I never thought that a place like this can be found in Vegas.

"Someone told me. Since then, I've been a local customer." His eyes lit brightly with every word. I can't believe this man likes Taiwanese food. He seemed to prefer Italian or European cuisines than Oriental ones.

"This diner is hidden from the busy streets, that's why I love it. It has that privacy I'm looking for and the food is very delicious." He smiled.

A bell tinkled as the door was pushed open. We both looked at the front then an Asian man in his forties with cropped hair went out with a tray full of squids then as he set them each on the grill at the right, he looked up with wide eyes and beamed at us.

"Mr. Hayden, long time no see!" He greeted in my language as he approached us. Mr. Hayden? Why did he call Daniele that? Isn't his last name Alleva? And more importantly, Daniele understands Mandarin? I'm going to have to ask him that later.

"And you brought someone with you." He continued but before Daniele could even introduce me, he already spoke.

"Hello miss, welcome." He bowed slightly. "I'm sure you'll love the food we serve here, especially new row mian. Perfect for beautiful lady like you." He guaranteed with an accent that English was not his cup of tea. Luckily for me, mom thought me English when I was still young so the difficulty has disappeared.

"Of course, beef noodles is my favorite." I smiled.

He looked stunned when I replied in Mandarin then out of nowhere he grabbed my hand with both of his hands and shook it very vigorously. It startled both Daniele and I but we got over it.

"I knew it! From the moment I saw those eyes, I knew you were Asian but I never thought that you'd be from Taiwan! You are, right?" 

I nodded with a smile at his question.

"My name is Shen Fu Ling, nice to meet you, but you can call me Shen. Welcome! Welcome!"

I chuckled at his warm acceptance. "Thank you. I'm Rosalie Yeung and you can call me Rosie."

"Of course! And I know just what to serve the both of you. Give me a second." He removed his hands from mine then he poked his head at the door and yelled. "Mother! Mr. Hayden is here with his girlfriend! Cook the special spicy new row mian for couples! Now!"