Chapter 7-YOLO Moments

“I’ve had what you could say is a YOLO moment,” Luke explains as he searches his backpack.

“Oh really and it is?”

He stands next to the bed. He gets down on one knee. “This isn’t an engagement ring. It’s a promise ring. Promise me that you will be my girlfriend, soon, officially. No matter what secrets we have to keep from everyone. No matter what laws stand in the way.”

I am shocked. “Are you sure?” I ask quietly. 

“Leigha Nicole Clark, I’ve had so much time to think about this. Yes I’m sure. I’d scream it from the top of the tallest building in the world with the loudest microphone I could find,” he says grinning. 

“Then this is a yes. I still owe you that date,” I say with a wink. 

“Oh I know. I almost thought I wouldn’t get it,” he says sadly. “Promise me you’ll stop. Please. I don’t ever wanna see you like this again.”

“I’ll have to be in a hospital again someday,” I say smirking.

“What?” He asks confused.

“You want kids. right?” I say laughing. I laugh so hard I have tears. He slides the ring on my right hand ring finger. It was an infinity ring with two pink stones and the rest little diamonds.

“Oh how I’ve missed you laugh,” he says with a smile. I rolled my eyes. “I missed that too.”

“Stop hoarding my best friend. I’ve been patient long enough. Open this damn door!” Jenny yells.

“Fucking give me a minute!” Luke yells sarcastically. 

“Damn Luke,” I say smiling. 

“Will you be my girl friend? We just won’t tell anyone yet. I’ll ask you out properly at another time.” Luke says nervously. 

“Of course. It would be my pleasure. “ I say and  he kisses my forehead.

“I love you Leigha Nicole Clark,” he whispers. 

“I love you Lucas Ethan Smith,” I whisper back as he walked towards the door.

He opens the door. I listen to everyone talk. After about an hour the nurse comes in and ushers everyone out. “Sweetie, Luke is crazy about you,” She says when we are alone. 

“How much was he here?” 

“More than anyone else. Every spare moment,” she says smiling. 

“Oh wow.”

“Do you love him?” She asks. 

“I do, but it’s complicated.”

“How so?”She asks confused.

“It’s a forbidden love type of thing.”

“How so?” She questions. 

“He’s my brother’s best friend of over 10 years. To make things worse he’s my math and science teacher.”

“Follow your heart sweetie,” she says adjusting my pillows.

“I am, I think.When can I go home?” I ask quietly.

“You are awake 2 hours and you already want to leave?” She says jokingly. 

“Yes ma’am. I need sunlight and fresh air.”

“You will probably leave in 2 days, but I don’t know. It’s up to the doctor and therapist if you can handle leaving,” she tells me with a smile.