Chapter 5- The Waiting Game

Luke’s POV:

I wake up that next morning in a comfy bed. The walls surrounding me are purple and filled with posters and drawings. This is not my room. I look over to see Tasha sleeping on the couch. Her makeup smudged on the pillow tells me she had been crying before she fell asleep. Then I remembered why I was here. It is only 5, but I have a lot to do. I set her alarm clock for 5:30, the time Lee usually wakes her up. I run home and unlock the door. My mom lay on her bed, still dressed in her clothes. Sara is passed out on the couch and much like Tashy her makeup smudged on a pillow.  I quickly grab my laptop bag and open my laptop. I open the tab to twitter. “ @LeighaNicole #StayStrong #PrayingForYou #WakeUpSoon”  I check the rest of her profile and then get ready for the day. I leave the house at 20 after 5. I have almost two hours to spend at the hospital. I get there as Uncle Jason and Aunt Jan are leaving. “How is she today?” I ask quietly.

Aunt Jan looks at me and her eyes light up, “She’s going to wake up soon.I feel it. “

“Me too.”

“Eddy came and told us about the tweets,”  Uncle Jason says.

“Oh?”

“He’s having Bently go undercover and he’s going to talk a lot more about bullying,” Uncle Jason explains.

“Thanks for warning me. I’m staying until I have to be a school, but I’ll be back on my prep and lunch and after school.”

“Lucas you don’t have too,” Aunt Jan says sadly.

“It would be my pleasure.”

“We need sleep. See you later Lucas,” Uncle Jason says faking a smile.

I walk into the room. She looks so tiny, surrounded by tubes and wires.  I pull the chair closer to her bed. I push the bangs out of her eyes and kiss her forehead. “Leigha, babydoll wake up. You still owe me that date. Leigha, I love you too,” I whisper.

I barely make it into school on time. I stumble into my first hour and have a boring lecture prepared. My second hour I listen to the normal everyday announcements.

“Good morning students and staff. I have a few key things to discuss and then I will be done. We are now taking into effect a zero tolerance policy for bullying. Anyone caught bullying will be suspended. Then if you get three offenses, you will be expelled. This is a reminder, we will not tolerate fighting. We had a fight between a couple seniors yesterday and I hope there won’t be a repeat. My last point, cyberbullying. A family friend of mine who is a senior here attempted to commit suicide last night. This girl is a straight A student, but has been bullied for 6 years. She was told on twitter to go kill herself and she almost did. The tweet got over a 100 retweets. If cyberbullying is reported to me you will get in trouble. I would like to ask for you to keep my family in your thoughts. Have a great day everyone.”

My second hour class buzzes with the rumors. “I won’t listen to rumors. You have any questions about this girl I can tell you everything you want to know. Her brother and I are best friends,” I expalin and the whole class shut up. In third hour, Ben saunters in. He hands me a note, “My name is now Sal and you don’t know me. Text my mom btw.”  I watch Ben take Leigha’s seat. I give them a free hour and call Aunt Jan.

Aunt Jan:”Lucas, don’t you have class right now?”

Me:”Yeah, but I was told to call you.”

Aunt Jan:”She’s waking up. I know it.”

Me:”Are you sure?”

Aunt Jan:”Yes. Get a sub and get your lover boy ass down here!”

She said hanging up the phone.