Outside The Lines {20}

Magsimula sa umpisa

                “What about you?” I asked desperately.

                “I don’t get over feelings so easily. But as selfish as I seem, I do want the best for you. You’re not okay with dating me. So I want to see you move on and be happy,” he said, pulling my hand off of his arm.

                He stepped closer to me, brushing his thumb against my bottom lip. He bent down and kissed me, slow and gentle and sad.

                When he pulled away, he gave me that heartbreakingly sad smile again. “I’ll handle Thalia, if you don’t want her to know the truth.”

                “I’ll tell everyone. Dimitri, please,” I said, my eyes pleading with him. “Just give me one more chance.”

                He shook his head. “No. It’s too late for that Theo. I’m sorry.”

                He turned and I watched him helplessly. He slowly made his way into his house, quietly shutting the front door.

                I dropped down onto his porch, chewing on my lip and trying to get my feelings under control. Freaking out, screaming, and crying like a bitch wasn’t going to help me right now.

                “What did you do to him?”

                I looked up at Galen. He was clutching a rubber ball, and I realized that he must have been eavesdropping from the side of the house.

                “What did you do to him?” he repeated. “I’ve never seen Dimmy upset before. Never! He came home and he looked so sad. He wouldn’t talk to mommy or daddy or even me! And he never dresses like that, Theo.” His lip trembled. “Mommy and daddy are scared.”

                My heart sank at those words. “I didn’t mean to upset him,” I said miserably.

                “You pinky swore you wouldn’t hurt my big brother!” he cried, his eyes watering. “Dimmy’s never looked so sad and hurt before!”

                The front door opened before I got the chance to speak. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Mr. Ivanov.

                “Theo,” he said, his voice cold. His eyes shifted to Galen. “Galen, come inside now please. Dinner is ready.”

                “Daddy, Theo did something to Dimmy!” Galen said, wiping his eyes and pointing an accusing finger at me.

                “I know he did. Now come inside,” Mr. Ivanov said.

                Galen glared at me and walked past me, gripping his father’s hand. Mr. Ivanov gave me a disgusted look.

                “I don’t know what you did to Dimitri, but you better know that I don’t like seeing him upset. So you better fix it,” he growled and slammed the door.

                I buried my face in my hands miserably. I took a deep breath and stood up, getting into my car. I blocked out all of my thoughts as I drove home.

                I sighed and went into the house. I was nearly attacked by Thalia as she sprang at me, gripping my shoulders.

                “What the hell happened at school?” she demanded.

                “He told me he loved me, and I rejected him,” I mumbled.

                “God dammit Theo! You didn’t see the hurt on his face. Everyone was laughing and whispering, but he didn’t even pay any attention to them. He just kept staring at the doors you left out of with this hurt expression,” she said, releasing me and rubbing her temples. “Why did he even say he loved you? He was so serious about it.”