Chapter 13

My heart fluttered nervously as I was loaded on to a gurney and driven to the hospital. While they stuck needles in my arm as they took all my vitals and told me to relax. I was taken to a room straight away where I was tended by the doctor straight away.

“Right Addison everything seems to be in order I just have a few questions for you before we get you an ultrasound.” The doctor said while he looked down at his clip board that had all my information on it. I nodded my head and he continued. I answered all his questions and then they did an ultra sound.

“Everything is fine Addison; you’ve got a sprained ankle so for the next two weeks I’ll ask you to take it easy. It was a close call.” The doctor seemed just as relieved as I was. My breathing slowed back down to a normal rate and I calmed down.

“What the hell were you thinking, Mel?!” I heard a livid Jake yell at Mel from outside the room. He had gone back to work after he had his shower. I frowned, it wasn’t Mel’s fault. She wasn’t even in the room when I fell.

Just as the doctor was about to leave I asked him to bring in Cole, Mel and Jake. They all came in and Mel looked so distressed, Cole was holding a sleeping Henry and Jake looked angry and worried. “Jake apologise to Mel! It wasn’t her fault!” I scowled. I knew he was worried about me and the baby; he probably still was worried because I hadn’t told them that the only problem was my sprained ankle.

“Are you okay? Is the baby okay? Are you okay?” Jake asked ignoring my request to apologise to Mel.

“Jake apologise to Mel!” I pressed.

“Sorry Mel.” He looked down at his feet shamefully. And he should be ashamed! Blaming Mel like that! It was my fault for not paying attention while going down the stairs.

Mel nodded sullenly she probably felt bad about it anyway. “The doctor said that the baby is fine. But I sprained my ankle so I have to rest for the next two weeks.” I heard three sighs of relief.

“So can we take you home?” Cole asked.

“Nope not yet, the doctor said tomorrow morning.”

“Okay well I’ll stay the night.” Jake determined almost automatically. I smiled but shook my head. I glanced at Mel she was standing there silently with her head down.

“Mel it wasn’t your fault.” I ignored Jake and focused on poor Mel she looked so guilty but she had no reason to. Jake had put the idea in her head that it was her fault but she really had nothing to do with it. In fact if she hadn’t been in the house when it happened I might have still been laying there.

“I know Addie, I just feel horrible.” She pouted. Cole frowned and then moved over to Mel and wrapped one around her and held on to Henry with the other.

“You don’t have to, one it wasn’t your fault and two I’m fine! Mel if you hadn’t been there I might still be laying on the floor.” I told her.

“I’m really sorry Mel; I didn’t mean to blame you. I was worried about Addie and the baby.” Jake apologised again.

“I don’t blame you … but the main thing is that Addie and the baby are fine.” Mel smiled for the first time.

So they stuck around for a while before heading home to put Henry to bed. Jake stayed for a little longer. “Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?” He asked for the tenth time in twenty minutes.

“I’ll be fine, it’s only one night and tomorrow you can pick me up and we can spend the day in bed watching movies. I’m meant to rest for two weeks.” I smiled. He pulled the plastic chair he was sitting in closer to the bed and grabbed my hands.

“I’m gonna take the week off work.” He told me as he squeezed my hand and leaned forward to kiss it.

“You don’t have to-.”

“I’m going to anyway.” He cut me off.

“No. You’re not allowed to! I’m not working anymore Jake; if you wanna save for a house then you can’t keep taking weeks off work because I’m pregnant.” I told him. We had recently discussed saving for a deposit on a house.

“I thought we decided I was going to build you a house.” Jake frowned jokingly.

“I thought you were kidding.”

“I was but it’s a good idea. I know how to make pools.” He grinned. I rolled my eyes.

“No Jake you know how to be pushed in to a pool by my brother.” I giggled.

“Oh that was a low blow!” He feigned hurt.

“You love me.” I giggled.

“That I cannot deny.” He chuckled.

I bit my lip. It’s amazing how Jake can still make me feel so special after being together for so long. It made me think about how far our relationship has come in the last three years since we got together on holiday. How Jake had proposed and now this baby was the cherry on top. Everything is perfect … apart from the fact that I was currently in the hospital.

I yawned and stretched. It was getting late. “You want me to go home so you can get some rest?” Jake asked. He was still holding my hand.

I nodded my head. “Yes please. Will you come back tomorrow morning?”

“Of course I will, baby.” He smiled at me sweetly standing up and leaning over the bed to kiss me softly. “Good night.” He kissed my nose.

“Good night.”

In the morning I was greeted by a nurse bright and early. She brought me pancakes with syrup and freshly squeezed orange juice. After I had eaten I had the last ultrasound to make sure that everything was still okay and that nothing bad had happened over night.

I was given the all clear soon after and Jake arrived to take me home. They gave me a pair of crutches and told me to be careful for the next two weeks. “That’s the first time we’ve been away from each other since you got arrested.” I pouted as I hugged him. I found it hard to sleep when he was not next to me.

“Never again.” He groaned.

When we got home I stood in the front door in shock and horror. The person standing in front of me was the last person I ever wanted to see. “Addison! You’re pregnant!”