Chapter 60: Emo-Stage

"It's so annoying watching you always studying!" complained Chris out of the blue. It was the seventh period of the day when our teacher left us more than half an hour earlier because she was called to the principal's office to discuss her report on her thesis.

"Then why don't you find something interesting to do?" I reply, giving him a flat stare and going back to reading our literature book, just finding something interesting to read.

Chris has been in a foul mood lately for the past months. He keeps on giving me the news on how he and Amy have been doing lately. A few weeks ago, they had a huge fight because of their mothers who were defending them and would sometimes shoot negative comments on the other party.

I always knew long distant relationships wouldn't last. After that, they would settle things and be happy again. But this week has been rather, how should I say it? Off...

"You know what Jade?" he started.

"What?" I close my book, signaling that I would pay attention to whatever he would rant about for as long as it would take.

"Me and Amy decided on something last night..."

"Go on..."

"We decided to just be friends, because she's still too young to have a boyfriend..."

Really? That's not a good reason though...

"No way! Did you two not settle your differences?"

He sighed heavily, "We tried... But, we just thought that that was the better choice for the both of us..." He looked irritated, mixed with a little depression. This was my first time seeing Chris so not in the mood. He didn't look completely crushed or hurt, maybe because he already thought that they're relationship wouldn't work out in the first place?

"It's alright Chris... There are plenty of fish in the sea... You just need to have some time to yourself to think..." I explain whilst rubbing his back to soothe him.

"Yeah... I think I do... Thanks..." he said before getting up from the chair and leaving the room entirely.

Maybe he's going to the library? That's where he usually goes when he feels this way...

It's too bad that Amy and Chris are no more...

But I feel really mean for somehow feeling a weight lifted off my chest for this breakup.

Mae was absent today. She didn't text me why. Maybe she overslept? So I'm by myself. Back to reading my book, I guess?

"Hi Jade!"

"Hey Winterson!"

"Jadey~!"

I look up to see Jenny, Sam and Ryan. They all came to sit with me and talk. So, I closed my book again. Ryan and Jenny seem really close nowadays. It's weird though, because it's like they just came here to talk about hot guys.

After minutes of talking about popular and handsome men, Ryan paused and gawked at me for some reason. "Yes, Ryan?" I nervously ask him.

"Is it true that you are a tomboy, Jade?" he asked.

Wow... That was sudden...

"Yeah... I'd say I am." I shrug.

"Hmmm... Do you feel any romantic love for anyone now?"

"Let's see... I don't think so?"

"Okay... Do you love Mae?"

"Of course I do!"