Chapter 1

Hawke pov

My mom had yanked me out of the hot room and into the cold damp night air. There were towers of water all around us and if it wasn't so cold and the air wasn't filled with the fear radiating off of the creatures my mom had told me were called Two legs I would have thought it was beautiful. "Follow me" my mom said gently as she shot off to the other side of the mob of scrambling Two legs. "Over here" she called as she skidded to a halt beside a giant black horse. She had yelled loudly over the Two legs unknown words and soon eight other horses had joined us.

"There is land...the shire said...just Over there but we must wait for the right moment so we all can make it safely. The giant horse raised his head and looked at each horse. I hope to see you all there.
My mom stared at the towers of water watching all of them at once. The boy she called lynar came over and reached around her neck she reached her head around in a hug before relaxing in his arms.

"Hey girl you got to go you can't wait you'll die save yourself and your baby" lynar patted my nose and I jumped backwards. My mom glanced up at the towers seeing one of them coming dangerously closer "go" she shrieked and the horses jumped over the edge of the ship. Once the other horses were off she turned and neighed at lynar. Lynar took a few minutes before realizing she wanted him to get on. "Get out of here I can't leave" he yelled and jumped foward waving his hat in his hands causing me to fall over board and my mom to jump in after me.

My mom swam beside me guiding me toward what she had called land When we were close enough to the land that we could stand up in the water we watched the ship. The tower my mom had been staring at crashed right through the middle of the ship and it began to sink. We saw the people swimming in the water and when they were close to the edge the older horses swam out and got them. I had been told to stay on land and I was standing by a giant oak tree with my exhausted mom watching the people come in. Her ears pricked when the shire whose name was shader was bringing in three different men. "Stay here" she said and ignoring shaders calls of stay on the shore she swam out and the boy called lynar crawled from shaders back to my mothers.she brought him aboard and laid down beside me breathing heavily.
"Easy girl" lynar said taking off his shirt and starting to gather sticks from the grass and stack them against a nearby tree. The other men had grabbed the horses and made a makeshift corral out of logs that were laying on the island. The gypsy vanner shashi came over and laid down by mother to keep her warm and I cuddled between their furry bodies and sucked up their warmth it wasn't long before I was snoring lightly in the middle of one of the worst storms any of us had seen.