XXXVIII

Shunsui Kyōraku

It's pure torture to watch your best friend die slowly on his death bed.

Just watching Jūshirō hack out blood ever minute left a deep pit in my stomach.

Dealing with so many deaths of shinigami... Its quite overwhelming. And a hell of a responsibility to try and calm the Seireitei down.

We were dealing with a consequence of Asami's mistake.

I was kind of mad at her. But yet again, if Asami hadn't made that mistake, then those shinigami would still be dead.

But still. Better than watching them die all over again.

Where the hell is the Soul King's right hand? Didn't Asami bring that back too? Cant it just come back down into Jūshirō?

I sighed, watching Jūshirō shiver in pain before me.

I couldn't say anything; I didn't know what to say. But I couldn't do anything to help my dear friend either.

"Shu-Shunsui-" Ukitake erupted once again into violent fits, bringing the bloody white cloth to his mouth.

I looked down at him with sadness, never imagining this day to come. I mean, yes, Ukitake was sick all the time, and there were times when everyone thought he wouldn't make it, but he made it. Each time.

As much as I was hoping he would turn out fine and make it out of this one, I knew he wouldn't.

"Is.. Is Rukia-"

"No. She's not."

He let out a small laugh.

"Can you, if I don't see her again.."

"Ah, c'mon Ukitake. You'll see her again." I said.

He laughed again, resulting in another fit of coughs.

I sighed, taking a soaked washcloth drenched in healing kidō, placing it over his forehead.

"Tell Rukia... Tell her to not lose hope, to not be angry.. to not let her negative emotions consume her."

"I will."

Jūshirō pried his eyes open, giving me a painful smile.

"It was a pleasure to grow up with you and to witness your rise as Head Captain. I always knew you'd get it."

I chuckled, shaking my head."

"I always thought it would be you. Or Unohana..." I shut my eyes, remembering the memory of her. And soon all I would have left of Ukitake was the memory of him.

"Shunsui."

I opened my eyes, raising my eyebrow down at him.

"Promise me something."

"Hm?"

"Whatever happens to Rukia.. help her through it."