XXIII

Byakuya Kuchiki (uh oh;)

I could sense Rukia's reiatsu nearly a mile away. And sure enough, she was at the manor.

I had been assigned in charge of a small but rather large broken section in the Seireitei to rebuild along with Captain Ichimaru and Hitsugaya. The two of them together was never a great mix to begin with. But the second Rangiku Matsumoto arrived, that's when the flame erupted, hence my cue to leave.

I did not want to be caught in between what those three are up to. Instead of Captain Ichimaru or Captain Hitsugaya asking me to leave, I excused myself from the area.

Today was full of surprises. But the most surprising of them all was Rukia coming back home.

As I entered the gates of the manor, Renji was sitting there at the end of the steps, his head hanging down.

I frowned upon the sight of him.

I stopped a few feet in front of him, looking down at his vulnerable and quite pathetic form as I waited for him to look up.

And when he finally did look up, he jumped at my presence.

I sighed, shutting my eyes. Waiting for him to speak.

"Captain! Welcome back!"

"What are you doing?" I asked him bluntly.

"W-what?" He asked, confused.

"You look pathetic sitting there all weak looking."

"Aw, thanks Captain.." Renji said, sounding hurt.

I took a step to the side, nothing left to say to him. I should probably go check on Rukia since she's here. Although she doesn't want anything to do with me still.

"Y-you came back earlier than I expected, Captain."

"A fight was about to happen. I simply did not want to watch or be caught in the middle of it, so I excused myself."  

"A fight?"

"Captain Ichimaru and Captain Hitsugaya." I said, opening my eyes.

"Ohh.. Yeah, that is a bad mix." Renji said.

I took another step only to be blocked by Renji once again as he stepped in my way.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Rukia is here, Captain." Renji said, trying to keep his expression cool and confident.

My eyes narrowed even further. "So?"

His eyes widened, he was obviously not expecting that response from me.

"I think she might be in a good mood."

My eyes widened slightly.

"Are you going to go speak with her?" Renji asked when I didn't respond. I only walked past him, making my way to Rukia's room.

When I reached her room, I slid open her door, seeing her bathroom light on as the door was open a crack.

Her reiatsu was coming from there.

I shut the door silently, then leaning against the wall patiently, waiting for her to finish. I shut my eyes, allowing my senses to relax.

I opened them slightly when her bathroom door slid open.

She looked at me, her eyes wide.