XXXIII

fifteen minutes before

Third Person

"What?" Ukitake frowned, not believing what he was hearing.

Aizen shut his eyes. "Her bankai is just a tool to control and limit her powers, and to bring me back. If she didn't have her bankai, she would bring back whoever she wants back. It isn't her who chooses who comes back, it is her bankai.

But because she denied her bankai and brought back whoever the heck she wanted to, she is facing the consequences for her deed."

"And you're fine with this?" Kyoraku asked.

"No. Of course not. That's why she will reverse her bankai, and those who were not supposed to come back will die. Again."

"And you don't know who will die." Ukitake said.

"Its started."

Kyoraku's eyes widened.

"Rukia." Ukitake said. He moved to the door to see his Lieutenant, alive in the flesh.

"Jūshirō." Aizen's voice stopped him.

Ukitake turned to look at him.

"I hope Shōjimasu has pity on you."

Ukitake shut his eyes, nodding at Aizen before disappearing.

Shunsui rose his eyebrow at Aizen, not understanding what he meant.

"Yhwach is officially dead. Asami has just gotten back the huge part of her soul she gave to Rukia.

This will trigger her bankai to reverse. Not only am I upset with her, but her zanpakuto is too. I just hope her zanpakuto is in not that bad of a mood to let at least a few shinigami or arrancar live." Aizen said, before turning on his heel.

"Shōjimasu is her zanpakuto."

"Indeed."

Kyōraku shut his eyes, understanding what Aizen meant.

Because Ukitake had died, Asami brought him back.

And now, there is a chance Ukitake might die.

Lieutenant Ise flung open the doors at this moment, her eyes panicked.

Shunsui met her panicked gaze, appearing in front of her in an instant, squeezing her arms in comfort.

"Nanao chan. What is it?" He asked, worried about his dear Lieutenant.

"Lieu- Lieutenant... Lieutenant Sasakibe, Captain." She choked out, as a tear slid down her cheek

She didn't need to say anything else as Shunsui understood. He pulled a silently weeping Nanao into his chest, wrapping his arms around her and keeping her as close and comforted in his embrace as possible.

He knew that the emergency alarms would go off soon.

But at this moment, he just wanted to comfort his traumatized Lieutenant.

*

Ulquiorra fell to his knees.

He felt Rukia's reiatsu a couple doors down. She was alive.

But he had no idea what was happening.

It was like the soul was being sucked out of him. He didn't know it, but it was.