XXXII

Rukia Kuchiki

I pried my eyes open, my vision filled with a bright yellow light.

It took a few moments for my vision to focus, the overwhelming yellow light now dim and a distance away.

My body ached everywhere, my head throbbing. It felt as if my body just got mutilated.

I was looking up at a very high ceiling, and the walls were silver and circular.

Was I in a cylinder? What the hell?

"Rukia?" I heard Renji's voice to my right.

I opened my mouth to speak, but the only thing that came out was blood.

If no one had sat me upwards, I would have choked on my own blood.

I cowered forward as I threw vicious coughing fits of blood in my hand, as someone placed their hand on my back and my arm. My throat was so scratchy, and it felt as if someone had intentionally scraped a knife down the insides of my throat.

"What is the meaning of this, Kisuke?" The voice of Nii sama filled my ears as he spoke in between my coughing fits.

"I assume this is one of the after effects of the weapon in her body." I heard Urahara say.

I pulled my hands away from my mouth, my eyes widening as I saw the blood dripping down my fingers and wrist.

"You didn't mention that the effects would be like this!" Renji snapped, his voice closest to me.

At that moment his hand gripped my arm, even though it normally wouldn't hurt, I could feel it bruising.

"R-Renji, you're-" I choked out, my voice so dry and scratchy.

He instantly released his grip on me, although lingering his hand on my back.

There was a quick shuffle of feet as I sat there in shock, curled up in a ball.

I felt someone's finger tilt my head up slowly, as I my muscles and nerves everywhere burned. I winced, meeting Nii sama's eyes.

His eyes burned into mine. Nii sama's face was expressionless, but I could see a slight pain in his eyes.

I gave him a small smile. Even though Nii sama looked much worse since the last time I saw him, I'm glad I could see him now. I don't blame him. It must've been hard finding out that his sister wasn't his actual sister. But Nii sama is strong. I always admired, I admire, that about him.

He didn't say a word as he pulled my chin down, opening my mouth. He pressed the edge of a cup onto my lips, tilting it up so cold water flowed into my mouth. I closed my eyes, enjoyed the feeling of the cold liquid going down my throat.

Nii sama pulled the cup from my mouth once I drunk it all. I opened my eyes, only to see he wasn't in front of me anymore.

Urahara appeared before my eyes, as he tilted his hat upwards to get a better look at me.

He flashed me a kind smile as he sat before me, a wet wash cloth in his hand.

"May I?"

I nodded.

He took my bloody hand in his gently, pressing the hot wash cloth against the palms of my hands. It felt nice against my hands, as I felt it tickle my skin.

"Can you talk now?" He asked me with a smile.

"It still hurts to." I said. My voice sounded less croaky now, although it was still grainy sounding.