XIV

Third Person

Rukia had felt Ichigo's reiatsu the second he stepped into the Seireitei.

"Damn that Urahara." She whispered harshly to herself.

"Ah! Kurosaki seems to have graced us with his presence." Captain Ukitake said.

Rukia said nothing, as she looked down at the paperwork, filling it out harshly as she pressed the ink hard on the paper.

"Rukia."

"Yes, Captain?"

"Take a break. You've been like this since yesterday." Ukitake placed his hand over her shoulder.

"I'm fine, Captain."

Ukitake looked down at her curiously.

"Byakuya is worried about you."

That halted me in my work.

"He shouldn't be."

"You've been distant from everyone ever since the war ended. That's not like you."

Rukia sighed, setting the pen down.

"I just.. I don't know what to do."

Ukitake sat in front of his Lieutenant, looking down at her worriedly.

"What do you mean?"

"I want to live. I really do. But I just.. I can't. I can't will myself to."

Ukitake gave her a sad smile.

"So you would die."

"I was supposed to die back there, when I fought against Ichigo. I know it. But I don't know why the Soul Queen brought me back." Rukia spoke softly.

Ukitake shut his eyes.

"I've known her for a while. And I know Asami doesn't do something without good reason.

I believe she brought you back because her life compared to yours. And not only that, but if you died, a certain someone would have lost his way."

Rukia shook her head.

"I feel like I have to die to repay what the Soul Queen has done for me, you know? I mean, she brought me back twice, and that last time she did is when she knew she would die-

-you blame yourself for this?"

"Yes, Captain, I blame myself. Because if I hadn't died again, then the Soul Queen wouldn't have to do this-

-this is a situation in which we cannot control, Rukia. It is not your fault." Ukitake said, smiling down at her. Rukia only sighed, holding her head in her hands.

"Are you going to greet Ichigo?" Ukitake asked, deciding to change the subject. He didn't want Rukia to be more upset than she already was.

"No."

Ukitake's eyebrows shot up. He wore an amused smile on his face.

"No?"

"I know why he's here. That's why I won't see him."

"You'll have to."

"I know." Rukia groaned.

Rukia lifted her head up, opening her mouth to say something before she stopped.

She could sense a shinigami's reiatsu. Although it was distant, she could tell it was strong.

Ukitake sensed it too.