Chapter 14. Just Friends.

Start from the beginning

"I'm holding a baby," I smirked.

"You're so dumb," Andrew grumbled. He walked down the stairs and disappeared down the hall.

"Oh Izzy, it's for you!" He shouted, coming back into the living room with a grin on his face.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Ryder," He smirked.

"Let me get it," I said, getting up and setting Jack in his play pen.

"Hell no, I'm getting it," He said, running back into the hall. I chased him and tackled him to the ground.

"No, stop it I'm getting it!" I shouted, holding him down. I reached for the door knob and he grabbed my hand and flipped me off him. I landed on my back and grunted.

"You're such an ass!" I screamed, hitting him and pulling him back from the door.

"Come in Ryder!" He shouted. I tossed him behind me as the door opened. Andrew grabbed my waist and pulled me down with him onto the ground. He locked my arms behind my back.

"Let go of me you prick!" I snapped, trying to get out of his grip.

"Should I come back later," Ryder asked, eyeing Andrew and I.

"No, you shouldn't. Andrew, let me go!" I shouted. Andrew laughed and released my arms. He climbed up and escaped back up to his room.

"Hi," I said, climbing up very ungracefully.

"Hey, I um wanted to talk to you about yesterday." He said.

"Ok," I said, rocking on my feet.

"I um shouldn't have-- why didn't you tell me about Jace?" He asked, frowning.

"You found out about that?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Yeah, I called him Friday night and told him about pissing this girls dad off and it ended in him screaming at me for hurting you." Ryder said.

"He yelled at you?" I smiled.

"Don't grin like that! It wasn't fun! I've never heard him drop the F bomb so much," Ryder grumbled. I couldn't help the stupid grin on my face.

"Wait, you didn't tell him about Jack did you?" I asked.

"No," Ryder said. "I was to busy getting yelled at."

"Good," I sighed.

"Wait, Jace doesn't know about Jack?" Ryder asked.

"No," I said, slowly.

"Why not?"

"It didn't seem important at the time?" I offered.

"Ok you know what, it doesn't matter. I don't care what your reasons are. I just wanted to apologize." Ryder said, shaking his head.

"Apology excepted, I'm actually glad you did it. It made me realize that there's only one Jace in the world and I have to stop assuming I can find another." I said.

"You're welcome I guess. I was wondering if we could still be friends?" Ryder asked.

"I'd like that," I smiled.

"Great," Ryder smiled.

_-_-_-_

"What do you mean you're friends with him?" Dad asked.

"I mean I talked to him and we're friends," I sighed.

"Isabella that's ridiculous, why would you want to be friends with him?" He questioned.

"He's a nice guy--"

"A nice guy?" Dad snapped.

"Usually. So he's a jerk when it comes to girls, but I'm not going to date him. We're just going to be friends." I said.

"I think you're making a mistake," Dad said.

"Well I'm not." I said.

"You said Jace made him apologize huh?" Dad asked, awkwardly.

"Yeah," I said, looking at my hands.

"So now I suppose you're going to talk to him again?" Dad asked.

"No," I sighed.

"You're not?" He asked, not bothering to hide his shock.

"I'm finally getting over this, I'm not going to break my heart on purpose," I said. "I'm going to bed,"

"It's only eight," Dad said.

"I'm going to bed," I repeated, marching upstairs.

"Izzy," He called after me. I ignored him and continued into my room. I closed the door gently and curled under the covers, fully dressed. I listened to Jack breathing in his sleep.

The sounds of his breathing made me smile. I crawled out of bed and sat beside his crib, looking in on him as he slept. His eyes flicked behind his eyelids. I wondered what he would dream about. I wished I could have a simple life like his.

"I wish I could keep you away from the world," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "I wish you never had to know about the people in the world. I wish you could live in innocence forever,"

I watched his eyes dance for a while longer. It was so easy for me to imagine his eyes darker. I could picture Jack looking at me with deep, mud brown eyes. His smile would dazzle me just like Jace's did. It was to easy to imagine Jace leaning over my shoulder, smiling down at Jack, our child.

Those days after he left I prayed so hard that the doctor was wrong. I wished that Jack could be two weeks younger. I wish I could just like to everyone and tell them Jack was Jace's. Even the thought of it made me smile.

I shook my head until I was dizzy.

"Stop thinking about him. Stop it. Stop it. Stop." I snapped. I crawled back to my bed, to dizzy to walk. I curled back up in the sheets and fell asleep.

Mark's POV

This was infuriating! I thought it would be so easy to watch her and know what was going on in her life, but I was wrong. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I was so tempted to climb up to her window and take her. I could knock her out and bring the baby too. We could live as a family together.

Then I could ask her who that boy was.

Was she over that blonde prick?

Was she healed already?

I could break her again.

I wouldn't even have to kidnap her for that.

I could just go up to the house right now and break into her room.

I could keep her quiet.

It wouldn't be hard.

I bet that would piss her dad off.

Knowing I was right there in the house and he didn't even know.

Knowing that I hurt her again.

Right under his noise.

The thought was intoxicating.

But I wouldn't.