Chapter 64: Shattered hearts

He entered my room and stood awkwardly near the door. I got up from the bed and held my head because it hurt like hell.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly.

I opened a drawer next to the bed, took one aspirin out of the box, and grabbed my water bottle. He looked concerned as I swallowed the pill with some water.

"Bursting headache," I mumbled.

"Oh," he said and looked relieved.

I took a few more gulps from the water bottle since my throat felt raspy. I tried to get up from the bed, but my head was spinning a little too much so I decided to just sit on the edge of the bed.

"I'm sorry for coming unannounced," he mumbled under his breath.

"Sorry, what?" I asked.

"I came unannounced," he said a little louder.

"It's okay. You can sit down if you want," I said because I saw him standing there awkwardly.

He smiled sheepishly and took a seat on the bed, keeping enough distance between us. We stayed quiet for over 5 minutes and it started to get awkward.

"Why did you come?" I asked, breaking the silence.

He took a deep breath and said, "I came to clarify things," with a nervous look.

"Did you know about what Thais did?" I asked straightforwardly.

"No, she went behind my back," he said.

"So you didn't know that she blackmailed Marc and Melissa?" I asked.

"No, I promise I didn't! I would have never let her if I had known," he sighed.

"But she is your friend," I said.

"I thought she was, but she didn't mention any of this to me. I know I'm probably the last person who has the right to judge her, but I promise you that I had nothing to do with it," he said and looked at me with sad eyes.

I thought about it for a minute.

"Do you believe me?" he asked.

"I want to," I said.

"But you aren't sure?" he asked.

"You promised me that there wouldn't be any secrets between us, but you didn't tell me one thing," I said.

"I told you everything Olive," he said.

"Thais knew and maybe even helped you to blackmail me, didn't she? That's why it was so easy for her to blackmail Marc and Melissa too," I said.

He looked into my eyes with a frightened and shocked look.

"You should have told me that you involved her," I said.

I felt disappointed that he hadn't mentioned this key point.

"I didn't think about it at that moment," he mumbled.

"I want to believe you, I want to trust you again, but you make it hard for me," I sighed.

"I didn't do it on purpose, I promise. Thais knew about my plan, but it was me who executed it. What Thais did to Marc and Melissa is something I wasn't involved in. That was all her," he explained.

I sighed and didn't say anything.

"Do you...love him?" he suddenly asked.

"Love who? Marc?" I asked, confused.

He nodded.

"I don't," I said.

"Then why did you kiss him?" he asked.