Chapter 16: Council

Start from the beginning

The crowd began murmuring immediately after Luke finished speaking. “Silence.” called Lord Aterus. “Come forward human.” he said to me.

I looked at Luke, who was glaring at Lord Aterus. He looked back at me and smiled encouragingly. I slowly walked up the stairs, wary of the eyes on me.  I stood before the Council, trying not to show how scared I was. “Speak your name child.” said Lady Ashlyn.

“Ella James.” I said, surprised at how steady my voice was compared to how I felt inside.

“And what is your age?” said Lord Damon.

“17, my birthday was a week ago.”

“Have you been in contact with Angelus before your birthday?” asked Lord Richard.

“No, I only found out about them a couple of days ago.”

“What about dreams?” My head shot up and I looked at Lord Douglas. He cocked her head, waiting for my answer.

“I have had dreams about them for a long time.” I answered hesitantly. The Council suddenly leaned forward at my answer.

“Any specific Angelus these dreams have been about?” Lord Aterus asked. I was ready to say no, but he looked into my eyes and I felt my resolve melting.

“Yes.” I said, lost in the depths of Lord Aterus’ eyes. He raised an eyebrow and I answered the unspoken question, “Luke Lockhart.”

“Luke?” Mina said disbelievingly.

I nodded mutely. I tried to look away from Lord Aterus, but I was stuck. His eyes swallowed me whole, though not in the way Luke’s did.

“Bring the cloak.” said Lady Careena suddenly. An Angelus that had been standing to the side of the altar ran off through a door in the side of the chamber.

“The cloak? Are you sure?” asked Lord Damon.

“Lady Careena is right. Bring the human the cloak.” said Lord Aterus, sitting back. Our eye contact broke and I blinked and shook my head. I looked to Mina, who had a look of mild worry in her eyes. She smiled reassuringly though, when she noticed my gaze. Soon the Angelus that had left returned, holding an ornately carved chest in his arms. The chest was made of a dark wood, and was inlaid with various jewels and veins of marble. The lid held an inlaid image of silver wings. The chest was brought up the stairs and placed before Lady Careena. She reverently opened the chest and drew out a long grey cloak. It reached to almost the floor when she held it up. On the back was a strangely familiar crest of 3 stars under a banner with white writing. Above the banner were wings, so detailed the looked almost real. The cloak seemed to shimmer when moved, turning silver where it was hit by the torchlight. Lady Careena looked up from it to me and caught her breath.

“It matches her eyes.” The Council immediately looked at me again and they all made similar sounds of wonder, looking back from the cloak to me. Only Lord Aterus seemed unmoved.

He smirked and said, “Give it to the human. Let her try it on.”

My eyes widened and I shook my head. The crowd behind me began murmuring again. The Council all looked up and met each other’s eyes. They seemed to hold a silent argument for all of 5 seconds before Lady Ashlyn relented and said, “Careena, give her the cloak.”

“Wait, you can’t. She’s still Undetermined.” said Luke from behind me.

“That shouldn’t matter.” said Lord Aterus with a smirk.

Lady Careena slowly stood up and walked to me, the cloak in her hands. She moved to stand in front of me, blocking my view of Lord Aterus. She was taller than me, but not by much. I kept my eyes on my shoes, too scared to face her. She lifted the cloak and draped it over my shoulders in one fluid moment. The cloak was long, but it stopped just before hitting the floor and seemed to fit itself over me perfectly. The moment the fabric settled around my back I suddenly felt a burst of power rush though me. I felt the magic flowing through my veins and I instinctively raised my chin and for the first time met Lady Careena’s eyes. Her blue eyes widened in shock as she stared at me.

“Its her. Keveena sulya.” she said wondrously, stepping back to let the Council see me. They all froze in shock as they looked at me. Lord Aterus’ smirk froze as he looked at me in shock. Before I could wonder why two Angelus walked forward with a mirror. I looked into the mirror and froze myself. The cloak was the exact colour of my eyes, and it brought them out from my dark hair. They glowed with a new intensity, now looking as though there were flashlights behind my eyes. But that wasn’t the only change. Decorating the side of my neck was a tattoo of silver wings. They glowed against my pale skin and reflected off my dark hair. I was so shocked I couldn’t breathe.

The two Angelus slowly let the mirror down, before bowing to the floor as they had done before. The Council shared another look before all sinking to their knees and bowing as well.

“Ella?” I heard from behind and I turned to see Luke and Michelle right behind me with twin looks of utter confusion. Their expressions then changed to shock as they looked at me.

“Ella?” Luke said quietly, almost a whisper.

“Yeah?” I said, close to hysterical. As the crowd caught sight of me they began bowing again. “What’s happening?”

“You’re back.” Michelle said, and to my utter astonishment she and Luke sank to their knees and bowed before my feet.

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Alright, I know it’s been long since I last updated but writer’s block well and truly sucks. But at midnight inspiration struck and I kicked the writers block back where it belongs. Anyway, enough about me...

That language that the Angelus are speaking was just me dancing on my keyboard, so interpret it how you see fit.

Please drop a comment and remember the vote challenge, 4 votes to the next chapter…

Love Micky xoxo