[1] Poster Sighting

Start from the beginning

          I realized that I was staring at him and blushed. He didn’t make things awkward though, which I loved about him. He knew how to make me feel comfortable. And while we looked like complete opposites, we were the best of friends. Ever since childhood, we’d been practically tied at the hip.

          James gave a goofy grin, taking one of the available flyers for the advertisement. “No harm in checking out this show, right?” He picked up the flyer in his hand and walked down the side walk with me. Occasionally, to be a pest, he would poke people with the piece of paper.

          The people passing by would glance at the piece of paper floating in the air, thinking it was the wind carrying it along. I smiled to myself, knowing much better. While it was a selfish thought, I was almost glad that only I could see him. He was, in a way, mine. And I liked that.

~* *~

          My body slumped down into the comfy pillows on my bed and I snuggled into the blankets. Looking over on the floor, I groaned. The flyer for the show was on the ground, far out of my reach. I had gotten relaxed in bed, completely forgetting about the show tonight.

          Out of nowhere, James appeared, laughing. I nearly screamed, “James, you scared the crap out of me!”

          “Why are you in bed? I thought we were going to the show!” he exclaimed, shaking his head in disbelief. He went to swat at me with his hand, but I dodged it just in time.

          “I was just…relaxing,” I mumbled. “How do you always know what I’m doing?”

          “It’s just something that is programmed into me, I guess. I always know what you’re up to. Came with the job.”

          “What job?” I asked, honestly curious.

          He sighed. “The one to watch over you. You don’t seriously think that I just walk around with you all day just to chat? It’s sort of my job to help you. Though, I thoroughly enjoy my job.”

          I rolled my eyes a little and stuck out my tongue. He always dropped little hints like that, never really explaining things about his ‘ghost life’ completely. It was like he waited for me to put together pieces. Almost as if he needed me to solve things on my own.

          “Why didn’t you tell me that before?” I asked. It wasn’t that big of a deal. There was no need to silly little secrets.

          “Didn’t want you to get freaked out.” he shrugged.

          “No offense, James, but I think the fact that a ghost is my best friend is just a little spooky. I’m pretty good with freaky,” I scoffed with a laugh.

          He picked up the flyer from the ground, handing it to me. I took it hurriedly, wanting to grab it before he lost grasp of the paper. He was only just beginning to experiment with picking up objects and was a little rusty.

          “Now get ready! I’ll come back later.” And just like that, with the blink of an eye, he was gone. I always wondered where he went when he wasn’t with me.

~* *~

          I called up my friend Jess, asking her hopefully if she wanted to come with me. I didn’t want to go all alone. James would be there, but I wanted someone alive to be there with me. She agreed immediately, completely stoked.