Blood Suckers | Chapter 1

My name is Samantha, 4 years ago my family was slaughtered by vampires. I was only 14 years old at the time. Luckily a man named Orion found me and decided to raise me as his own daughter. We currrently lived in a camp with many other people that were classified as my family. I'm now 18 and working along side the guards, preparing myself to be one of them. I was with my best friend Katy, we were taught to fight from the moment we had arrived at the camp. No matter the age, you must contribute.

"Uuggghh!" I yawned and leaned on Katy, her small structure made her a perfect arm rest.

"Come on Samantha, you're heavy you know!" She shoved my arm off of her and shook her head.

"Anyway, I can't believe Orion is making us clean up their mess! It's not fair." I frowned.

Katy stuck her tongue out and jabbed her finger at me.

"It's his way of saying happy eighteenth birthday, haha I'm just kidding!" She snickered and continued to sweep the floor.

I sighed and washed the tables trying to finish as quickly as possible.

I was exhausted. We had to push our limits in class today.

My legs felt shaky from the hard training day we had, but despite that I continued to work. I worked in order to stay alive here at this camp. Orion once told me that because I was too young to fight I had to clean up after everyone in order to stay in the camp. Everyone contributes here.

I took a deep breath of fresh air and licked my lips. Today was the day, I was finally old enough to become one of the guards.

I hummed to myself while wiping down the tables. Katy glanced at me at the corner of her eye and smiled. I couldn't contain my excitement, I was finally able to protect this camp from the enemy without having to be supervised by Orion.

"Samantha, Katy! Time to head to the front line. The vampires have come!" Orion Barked at us.

Those filthy monsters have arrived once again; to kill off the remaining of the camp.

This was the fourth time this week that they attacked. They wanted us dead, no matter how many of them falls.

My heart sank when the sound of knives, swords, and daggers clashing began. I gave Katy a side glance as I quickly sprinted out of the dining area. I unsheathed my sword and made my way over to the battlefield.

Half of our comrades were already wiped out, the vampires didn't hesitate to kill. I froze half way to the front line, a vampire and I made eye contact for a split second just as he charged at me. Time slowed, the sound of my pounding heart echoed in my ears as fear took over my body.

I dodged to the left and held my sword firmly. The vampire struck a crew member through her heart directly behind where I had stood moments ago. Blood stained her white tank top while he removed his hand. He held the non-beating heart in his grasp and sneered at me.

I gulped and lifted my blade, I was prepared to fight.

"Filthy vampires!" I shrieked.

He hissed and lunged at me with lightning speed. I raised my blade and swiftly swung it. Tlhe vampire hissed and he appeared in front of me, a scratch on his cheek; just barely bleeding.

"That is the first time a human has ever struck me, you're very strong," he touched the blood from his wound, "I like you."

I started to wave my sword but he grabbed my wrist preventing me from moving. He smiled. His fangs were stained with blood from his previous victim. My heart began to race as I realized this war was life or death.

I wasn't ready to die! Especially at the hands of a filthy vampire!

I called for Orion but didn't receive a response. I slowly turned my head and glanced at a vampire feeding off of him, Katy and the rest of my comrades. Tears sprung to my eyes watching my family being murdered all over again. Katy managed to give me a sad smile right before a vampire snapped her neck.

The sound of her bones breaking echoed through my ears. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head, leaving the whites staring at the sky.

"Let me go!" I screamed.

His grip loosened for a moment before tightening once again.

"Shhhh." He whispered in my ear and violently dragged me away. I struggled in his grasp trying to break free while he dragged me to a quiet place. My vision was blurry with tears; imagining my death.

"L-let me go.." I whimpered and without hesitation, he dropped me onto the hard cement.

I gasped and looked up at him. His mesmerizing green eyes stared into mine. My body shook violently as I feared for my life.

"Stay here until they're gone, I'll be back for you." He chuckled.

"Why..." I spoke quietly; afraid of death, I waited like I was told. He watched me for another moment before he disappeared from sight.

I layed on the ground trying to comprehend what just happened.

Did he leave me here just to kill me later? Is this a sick joke? What the hell just happened?! My family...again..my family is dead. We need to be stronger! We can't defeat vampires with our normal strength! We'll be completely extinct.

I stood up and rushedcto a large rock. I hid like a coward. But I ready to strike down anything that comes my way.

This is life or death.