32- The Announcement

Magsimula sa umpisa

I nodded numbly.

"Then go, Kayla. Just do it! And, as a consolation, if it does turn out horribly, at least no one will know that it was you behind the scenes. The secret stays with the three of us, and Cal. We won't tell, would we, Sam?"

She shook her head fervently.

"Are you ready, Kayla?" Ben asked me gently.

Of course I wasn't ready! I was going to puke, that was what I was ready for! 

Ignoring my pale face, Ben gave me a cocky smile, and, pulling me again, he approached the microphone.

---

"Goood morning Warwick High! Attempting to swallow that leathery salad they serve us? Trying not to grimace at the taste of that week-old soup? No fear, Ben is here! Okay, now that sounded lame. ANYHOW."

He paused dramatically while I tried to steady my breaths.

"I'm sure all of us here have kept secrets before, thinking that it was for the best. Believing that, by doing so, the ones you love will be protected. You know what I mean. Some of you girls may have back stabbed your friend in a fit of anger, and, when confronted, you deny it. Naturally. Guys, you have definitely lied to your girlfriends about your past, haven't you? And, secrets have a way of turning into lies, especially as you keep trying to quiet them down. Although lies are still lies, you can't help but do it because... you just care so darn deeply for someone! You don't want them to get hurt, it's as simple as that! And, after all, the past is the past, or so you say. But sooner or later, somebody lets the secret out of the bag. All of a sudden, you're confronted by the same person you tried to protect. Of course, after that, you guys fight, and post all that messy details, you can't help but wonder: What the heck happened? How could one tiny little secret, meant to keep your relationship going, ruined everything for you?"

"But sometimes, you just have to stop justifying your actions. Stop trying to defend your actions. And, since the person meant so much to you in the first place, you realize that... you just have to apologize. That's all you can do. Hopefully, you mean as much to that person as she or he did to you, and you guys can start rebuilding your relationship- this time, on honesty."

Ben exhaled.

"Yesterday, someone very close to my friend... Elle... well, found out about her secret. Naturally, he didn't take it very well, completely pulling a hissy fit on her!"

Sam chuckled appreciatively, while I paced around the room, my hands cold and clammy.

Ben signalled to me.

"And today? Well, I'll let Elle do the talking. Come here, Elle."

Nervously, I stepped up to the microphone, sweat forming on my forehead. I couldn't believe I was going to do this! Cal had better not ditch me after all the trouble I took!