Chapter 24 : "Shouldn't Do Anything"

Sᴏɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ sɪᴅᴇ - Sᴏɴɢ ғᴏʀ Lᴏᴠᴇʀ ғ Lᴏɴɢ Aɢᴏ ʙʏ Jsᴛɪɴ Vᴇʀɴᴏɴ

Chapter 24

LOUIS' POV

I glanced towards her and was about to inquire what she completely meant by stopping and growing up but was interrupted by the shrill ring of my cell phone somewhere in the room. Torn between continuing with the topic at hand and answering my phone, I had to choose my phone. I had been ignoring all calls and texts, besides Harmony's, since early yesterday.

Sending Harmony an apologetic look, I slipped out of the bed in search of my cell. The ringing continued to fill the silent room urging me to pick it up. Finding it hidden in my coat pocket, I kneeled down, pulling it from the pocket and slipping it into my hand to stare down the caller ID. It was an unknown number so I was apprehensive to pick it up but I did eventually unlock it, answering the call.

"Hello?" I started into my end of the call.

"Louis, this is Robert Marx. We spoke in management offices before you left for America." His stern formal tone had a chill running down my back. I knew exactly what this was about. Looking up to Harmony, still seeing her broken expression as she was slumped on the bed, cuddled in the thick sheets, I took this moment to slip out of the hotel room.

"Uh, hey Robert." I began awkwardly, unsure where to go with this. "Sir, if this is about Harmony, please hear me-"

"Mr. Tomlinson," Robert interrupted before I could continue. "There really isn't anything to say about what has happened besides that that little slip up of her's was your only chance. Now, you've lost that single chance and I recommend you explain to miss James as soon as possible that, whatever you have going on, is over." He instructed and I could blatantly hear the irritation building in his voice. But against better judgment, I attempted to explain.

"Mr. Marx, please listen. It was just a misunderstanding. Harmony was having a bad day." My own voice sounded unsure of what I was saying. I knew that that really wasn't a great plea but it was all I had without really telling him what had happened. If he knew exactly what happened then we would surely have to end what we have.

"Have you watched any tv this morning?" He inquired passively.

"I don't understand." I replied dumbly, unsure of where he was going with his question.

Robert sighed exasperatedly on the other end before speaking. "Let me just put it this way, Louis. Everyone and their brothers seem to be talking about Harmony being a bunch of crazy. Even if you tried to explain this to each individual person with immense conviction, they wouldn't believe you. People already knew that Harmony wasn't stable but this just proves that she isn't meant for you, for your life." His speech started strongly but as it neared an end, his voice softened.

"I'm sorry, Louis, but you have to stop seeing Harmony for the band's image. It just isn't good publicity. So I recommend that you tell her now and send her home. Don't wait till the end of this week before you return to London. Have a good day, Mr. Tomlinson." When the click signaling the end of the call sounded, I felt my stomach drop. Staring down the phone in my hand, my chest began constricting in a weird combination of sadness, fear, and worry.

I can't tell Harmony that I want to end things between us. I just physically can't. It's a complete lie. A complete lie that just hurts to think about. I don't think I could even utter the words.

But I don't want to ruin everything the boys and I have worked for. I don't want to destroy Harry, Niall, Liam, and Zayn's careers with my single decision. I'm not honestly sure how me being with Harmony is that bad but according to management it's just terrible. But is keeping my career worth losing Harmony?

Sighing, I slipped my phone into my pocket numbly and stared at the numbers tacked onto the hotel door. I don't think I can even open the door but surprising myself, I manage to slid the key into the slot and open the door. A unexpected chill ran down my spine as I finally stepped in and saw Harmony in the same place I had left her. She didn't even bother to look up when she heard me step into the room.

"Harmony," I called weakly.

Her head remained in place but her eyes slowly tracked up in my direction. The usually vibrant green was quite dimmed and void of any emotion. She licked her lips and tugged the bottom one between her teeth, chewing it harshly. While gazing at her, I thought over my options, like I had any.

I could just tell management to bugger off and Harmony and I could just run away together and live in some desolate town where no one will ever bother us. That options doesn't sound half bad but extremely unrealistic. Plus, I'd ruin everything for the boys and I couldn't do that to them. They're family.

Or I could just end it now as Harmony is staring at me with her sad eyes. It could be like ripping off a Band-Aid. Just do it quickly, and then it will be over and done with. Nice and easy...

"What is it, Louis?" Harmony's hushed monotone voice eased its way through my troublesome thoughts. I blinked a few times to focus my gaze her way to see that she now looked confused with her eyebrows pulled together.

Taking a deep breath, I looked at her harshly. "It's over." I said bluntly and I felt my heart drop the slightest bit.

Harmony's mouth opened as if she was going to say something but snapped her mouth shut stopping herself. She stood from the bed and took a few steps towards me but I simply took the few back.

"W-what do you mean?" She questioned cautiously because I knew she didn't want to hear the answer she already knew. I looked down to the tan carpet on the floor because I couldn't quite look at her while I said these words.

"I mean," I basically scoffed, "It's over, this relationship. We just don't work, Harmony. We never did. You've never been quite right for this so I'm making things simple. It's over. I'll have a taxi come around and take you to the airport." I told her, feeling everything inside of me begin to break. Expecting something like tears or yelling to start, I was extremely uneasy when nothing of the sort met my ears. The only things surrounding us was silence. But finally Harmony decided to speak.

"I don't even get a fighting chance?" She inquired softly with an impassive look crossing her features. Her expression didn't match what she had said and it had my eyebrows knotting together in confusion. She looked as if she already gave up.

"I guess I saw this coming. People always give up on me. It's whenever I think things are about to return to normal for me, it just gets flips around and- and I don't know what to do anymore." She admitted defeated and I had the strongest yearning to go and hold her, to comfort her but I held my ground.

Harmony stepped away from the place before me to her suitcase, pulling out a pair of jeans and slipping them on over her pale bare legs. She zipped up her bag and stepped back to me, looking up to me. Surprisingly enough, Harmony went up on her tippy toes and her eyes searched my features before leaning forward some and placing a gently kiss on my cheek. My eyes widened slightly in shock because I had wanted her to hate me or feel something other then this towards me. It would make it so much easier.

But she moved away and sighed, looking down to the ground brushing her curls behind her ears. I I wish I could do that one more time. "Don't worry about calling a taxi, I fair just fine on my own. I was doing great before you came around, a little bored but still fine. Better then I had been doing. Thank you for the adventure, Louis Tomlinson." Harmony said in an even voice. She just keeps surprising me. Why isn't she mad or anything?

"I love you. Good-bye." She barely whispered before she slid out of the door and I just remained in the silent dim light of our- my hotel room. I should turn around and run to her. I should grab her around the waist and kiss her, tell her I'm sorry, that I didn't mean it. I should-

No, I shouldn't do anything. This is something I have to do. I shouldn't do anything.