Chapter 13: "God Bless Management"

Sᴏɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ sɪᴅᴇ - Rᴀᴅɪᴏᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ʙʏ Iᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇ Dʀᴀɢᴏɴs

Chapter 13

LOUIS' POV

"I'm sorry, but can you run that by me again?" I questioned completely shocked. Where did this come from?

"You heard me, we should stop seeing each other." Harmony stated with no emotion. Her green eyes were empty. I narrowed my eyes at her blank features, not believing what she said. Or maybe not wanting to believe it.

"Are you joking?" My voice was strained and I felt my breaths coming in shorter, tighter gasps. "You can't be serious. I'm not daft, I know that you have feelings for me too. I know that you want this to work just as badly. So why are you saying this?" I asked, flustered.

Harmony's eyes widened just the slightest bit, showing me the emotions she was hiding from me. There, hidden in those green orbs, were the emotions of sadness, worry, and anger. "I'm not right for you, just like the guys said. I will only cause trouble, and that is something you don't need." She sighed, puffing away the red strands of hair from her pale face. "Plus, love is for people who consider themselves grown ups and that is something I'm not. I wouldn't ever be able to love you." Harmony's voice was barely above a whisper as she spoke. I felt a strange pain erupt from inside my chest at her words. The look on Harmony's face was serious but I could see the pain behind her words. I could see that it hurt her to say what she just said.

"I may not need the trouble but it is something I want." I spoke with earnest and didn't take my eyes away from hers. Harmony had tears welling up in her eyes and the sight made me take a step forward as to comfort her. As soon as I took the first step, Harmony took a step back and she was shaking her head slightly.

"I highly doubt that. You should go, Louis. Find someone who can make you happy, someone you won't have to worry about all the time." Harmony whispered and wrapped her slender arms around herself. She kept her eyes on the ground.

I could see a single tear slide down her freckled cheek. My heart broke for her. I loved Harmony and seeing her trying to deny what was going on between us looked like it was hard for her. It was even difficult for me. The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that she said she couldn't be able to love me. Just because love is something that people say should be reserved for matured, grown people doesn't honestly mean squat to me. If someone loves someone than that's how it is. Even if Harmony never wants to grow up, she can still love. Every one can...

"I think you are the only one who can make me happy and I wish you would stop deciding that there is someone better for me. I will decide that on my own." I stated sternly causing Harmony to look up at me. She opened her mouth to speak but something crossed her expression and nothing was said. Before my eyes, Harmony fell to the ground, bringing her knees up and wrapping her arms tightly around them. She was on the ground, safely bound together. Her wild red locks lying about, covering her face from me. Harmony's small frame was shaking with each cry that escaped her lips.

Shocked, I inched closer to her. Bending down on one knee, I reached my hand out to touch her shoulder. I rubbed soothing circles on her back but she remained the way she was; curled up, hidden away from me. Hushed whispers could be heard from her shaking form once her cries calmed down.

"I'm so scared." She repeated over and over. I grabbed ahold of her upper arm; getting a little worried with the tone she was speaking in, pulling her gently into my embrace. She immediately released her knees and brought her arms around my neck, holding me in a death grip of sorts. The wild curls that were once hiding her face was now covering mine. With one hand holding her waist tightly, I moved the other to brush away her red hair from my face.

Finally finding my voice, I spoke. "What are you so afraid of Harmony?" I questioned with my pained tone. There was no response for a while, so we sat in silence. The sound of Harmony's harsh breathing was the only thing to be heard. After probably about fifteen minutes, her breaths came out quieter and more even.

I whispered soothing words to her and within seconds her tight grip around me lessened, and I could finally relax my tensed body. The sound of Harmony sniffling a few times caused me to look down at her face that was once again behind those curls. I gently brushed her hair behind her ear so I could get a glimpse of her face.

I was greeted by a red nosed girl with tear stained cheeks. She slid her gaze from the floor up towards my eyes slowly. Once they met, hers narrowed in that way they sometimes do. Her appearance at this moment made her look small and timid. I grabbed her chin softly and inched closer, not losing eye contact once. Before my lips met hers, I whispered again, "What are you so afraid of Harmony?" As I spoke our lips brushed against each other's with feather light touches.

Before I could kiss her completely, she shrugged her head away from my grip, looking away and rubbed at her red nose. I pouted slightly at the lost contact but she paid no attention to it. Harmony sighed and looked at me once again.

"I'm afraid of tomorrow, of what's to come. I'm afraid that I'll wake up one day and be as sad and miserable as I was when Ben died. I'm fucking terrified of growing up and of losing you." Harmony's voice boomed in the silence. The force in her voice caused a shiver to run up my back.

"Harmony, you shouldn't be afraid of tomorrow or the days to come. We have to live for the moment because everything else is uncertain. That's what's great about life." I swore to her. She scoffed at what I said but before she could say anything, I continued. "And being afraid of losing me is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I promise you that I will not leave you if you promise to be mine and stop thinking you're not good enough." My voice was quickly followed by silence. Harmony stared at me like a deer in headlights.

"Louis, I- I don't know." She finally mumbled.

"What's there not to-" I started but was interrupted by the ring of my cell phone. Pulling my phone from my back pocket, I looked at the screen to see who it was. It was a text from Harry, actually it was a couple texts from Harry. I read through them but this one caught my eye.

-I know you said you weren't going to reply to texts but you have to get back. Management wants to talk to us-

Sighing, I locked my phone and looked up at Harmony. She was looking back at me with a confused expression. "Harry texted me and said management wants to talk to all of us. So I have to go but we will continue this conversation as soon as I am done with whatever management wants to talk to us about." I explained and slid my phone back into my pocket. Standing up, I held Harmony's hand and helped her up from her crumbled pile on the floor. She stood and I took in her appearance. Her work uniform was rumpled and still wet from the walk here; her features, that were normally contained and hiding of any emotion, was an open book, and I could see her hands shaking the slightest bit.

"Just think it over while I'm out, okay?" I begged her before slipping my coat on. Harmony looked to have thought this over for a bit before nodding her head, her curls shaking with the movement. A smile spread across my lips and I moved to peck her on the cheek. After I moved away, she rubbed her cheek and I could see the corner of her pink lips quirk up the slightest bit.

"Don't get your hopes up, Louis." Harmony mumbled as I walked out the door to my doomed meeting with management. The last thing I saw of Harmony was her sad smile.

"Glad to finally have you here, Mr. Tomlinson." The man in an overly done business suit greeted me. I grimaced at the formal greeting and curtly nodded my head. Truthfully, we only came to these meetings if we had done something we shouldn't have or... no, that's it.

Walking over to the seats situated by my band mates, I gave them a quick wave and a small smile before sitting down. I probably looked a little distressed with my wet clothes and hair from the walk inside, it was still pouring out; along with my tense expression. They looked back at me with a worried glance and an apologetic one from Harry. The man in front of us cleared his throat, grabbing our attention. When I took him in, I noticed the name placed on his desk, Robert. Robert sat up straighter, looking at us with his professionally cold eyes.

"Well lads, I bet you are curious as to why you are here." He said with a smile, surprisingly. We mumbled a few things that sounded along the lines of yes.

"Alright, well for starters, I would like to say congratulations on the big year you just had. Quite impressive if I do say so myself." Robert cheered with a clap. More money in his wallet, that's probably what he is thinking. We said nothing but gave each other a few high fives.

"Since you have had such a great year, there are, of course, quite a few shows wanting to interview you and have you perform for them blah, blah, blah." He stated while waving his hand about dismissively. "So since you have such a big fan base throughout the world, we figured we would send you off to America for a week or two for a couple interviews, then back here for more. How does that sound to you guys?" He asked simply with a smirk.

"That sounds like a great idea. When are we leaving?" Liam asked for us, knowing that was what we were curious about as well.

"A mere week from now." Robert said happily. This was rather rare, most of the time the people we met with were quite bland and a little too proper for my liking.

The sound of Niall cheering from the side caught all of our attention, he was obviously excited. Zayn and Harry were laughing at Niall, while Liam was nudging Niall's side, telling him to calm down until we were out of the office.

Robert laughed slightly, "Well seeing as that was all I had to tell you, you may leave. Please be ready to leave by five on Thursday. Paul will come and help you guys load the van up." He stated, slapping some papers into a neat pile. The lads stood up and started making their way out with me close behind.

"Uh, Louis? Can you stay behind?" Robert asked loud enough for only me to hear. I stopped and stared after the others, but turned around, sitting back in the seat I was once in.

"What's up?" I asked, wringing my hands anxiously. What have I done now?

"It would seem, Louis, that you have a new relationship in the process. Correct me if I am wrong." He said with raised eyebrows, his eyes had gone noticeably colder from earlier.

"Uh, I have a very good friend. It really isn't anything specific or official yet." I stated, scratching the back of my head awkwardly.

"Louis, I would love nothing more than for you to be happy but we want your fans happy first, and from what we have learned about Harmony, it isn't promising." Robert leaned forward the slightest bit. I was a little shocked at what he said but not completely surprised. Management has a wonderful way of finding things out about everything.

"Yeah, I've already had a talk like this with Harry. I get it; she isn't a good choice for me. But I honestly don't give two shits." I managed to say with confidence, which surprised me completely.

Robert gave me an appraising look, "Take her along with you to America and when you get back, we can talk about officially going out with your relationship. Now go before I change my mind."

My eyes widened in surprise but I stood up and slowly made my way towards the door. Before I stepped out, I turned to Robert. "Thank you." I mumbled while walking out the door. God bless management.