Chapter 1: "A Pirate?"

Sᴏɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ sɪᴅᴇ - Cᴀɴᴅʟᴇs ʙʏ Dᴀᴜɢʜᴛᴇʀ

Chapter 1:

    “We would like to call to you Lord, to help lift this soul to be by your side.”  The man dressed in black preached to the congregation of people weeping and mourning for the young soul who had departed this world in the worst way.

    Ben James wasn’t meant to die at the age of 17 but neither was anyone else who died that young.  Like anyone else, Ben wanted nothing more than to grow up and live the adventurous life of an adult.  The product of this want cost the unknowing  boy his life.  Drinking and mixing drugs was what destroyed him, late one night at a ‘friends’ house.

    The morning they wheeled away his lifeless body, the girl born with in a minute of the boy, raced toward him.  Her sobs could be heard through out the silenced neighborhood.  Crying for her lost half. The paramedics held back her thrashing body, as they put the boy into the vehicle.  They knew that it was already to late to save him.

    The blazing head of hair was flowing in the wind behind a wary eyed girl dressed in black, silently crying. Starring down the photo of Ben next to the coffin being lowered six feet into the ground, she thought the same thing she always thought.  Growing up kills.

    The sound of something hitting my window woke me up from my restless sleep.  Slowly sitting up in my bed and rubbing my eyes, I squinted into the darkness trying to see what made the noise.  The light from the moon was leaking in through my window, leaving a square of light on the wood floor of the apartment room.  A creeping shadow was slowly making its way to the center of the window frame.  I let out a small yelp and pulled my covers up over my head.

    A persistent knocking was emanating from my window.  Did I mention I was on the second floor…I mean, yeah, there’s a fire escape but still!  Suddenly, there was a muffled shout from the other side of the window.  I flinched from its unexpectedness.

    The knocking wouldn’t cease no matter how long I stayed hidden under the safety of my duvet.  I slowly peeked out from under the covers and saw that the figure was now lowered as if hiding from something behind him.  Sticking my left leg out from the warmth of my bed to the coolness of the room, I gently started toward the window.  When the figure noticed I was coming towards them, it began waving its arms ushering me to hurry my pace.

    Standing in front of the window, letting my hand lightly touch the frigid glass, I stared down the outline of the figure.  I could hear them groan in setback.  Being in closer proximity, I could now hear more than the muffled voice.

    “Please open the window, there is a pack of wild girls down there…”  I could tell by the figures voice that it was a man, making me even more apprehensive.

    “Why should I let you in?  You could be a rapist or a kidnapper, or, or… Or a pirate!”  I shouted unfriendly, crossing my arms, like the child I honestly was.  Even at 20 you’d think that I would start acting my age.  Oh no!