Chapter 11: "I Won't Reply"

Sᴏɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ sɪᴅᴇ - Exᴘʟᴏsɪᴏɴs ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ Sᴋʏ - Tɪᴍᴇ Sᴛᴏᴘs

Chapter 11

Harry's POV

Bipolar disorder? Harmony?

I looked up from the floor to see Harmony's expectant expression. She had just finished telling us everything and I could feel Louis' glare from the side. He expected us to jump right in with this and think everything was going to be okay. I don't think it's going to be.

"You're not really mental just...a bit irritable?" Niall's voice broke the silence. I hadn't realized that there had even been a silence to be broken. My thoughts were muddled with confusion. Liam and Zayn shook their heads in agreement, and I dazedly shook my head.

"Plus, if you take your pills, it helps, right?" Liam asked and I saw Harmony visibly relax. She had been nervous this whole time, I could tell by the way her small hands were shaking just the slightest bit.

"Yeah, as long as I take my pills it will help." She supplied with a small smile and nod of the head, brushing back a strand of her messy red hair. As if a troubling thought came to mind, her face immediately changed into a grimace and she looked directly to me. "I'm really sorry about breaking that plate, Harry." I could hear the embarrassed honesty in her voice and I instantly felt a little bit more at ease with this situation because Harmony was no different than how she was when we first met her. Fun, child-like, and quite the free spirit.

Shaking my head, "Its fine, Harmony. Louis can buy us another one." I told her and I smiled cheekily. The sound of Louis barking out a sarcastic laugh lightened the tense atmosphere of the room.

"Thank you guys. This is the first time that anyone's every really just been my friend without thinking about what's wrong with me." Harmony spoke with a quivering voice. It almost sounded like she was about to cry but the huge smile she wore begged to differ. I saw Louis out of the corner of my stand and move towards Harmony, but before he could reach her, Niall and Liam sprang forward enveloping her in their arms. Zayn and I followed suit with Louis right behind.

Looking up from the hug, I could see the way Louis' features held a strange happiness that I hadn't seen before, not even when he was with Eleanor. I saw that Niall held Harmony close with a caring expression and Liam had one to match. Zayn, being as indifferent as ever, actually shared a knowing smile with me. In that second we both knew Harmony was here to stay, even if it did bring a few troubles along the way.

I'd been holding in my thoughts for a few days. Truthfully, I didn't want to bring it up to Louis. I knew that what I had to say may hurt him but I had to say it. Louis wants what's best for Harmony because he cares about her but our lives may not be the right place for her. The other boys hadn't voiced their thoughts on it but I knew they had to be thinking the same thing. I decided that this afternoon once Harmony left our flat for her shift at the diner I would confront Louis about it.

Evidently, Harmony left earlier than I planned because Louis was sitting on the couch alone watching a game when I walked into the living room.

"Did Harmony leave already?" I asked him grabbing his attention away from the television.

"Yeah, she said she was tired, wanted to get a nap in before she went to work. I don't understand why she didn't just stay here." Louis pondered, scratching the back of his head. I moved to sit on the couch across from Louis. How was I going to start this? "The boys are going to stop by for a bit to watch the rest of the game with us." Louis stated before I could begin what I wanted to say.

Clearing my throat awkwardly, I started. "Louis?" I asked unable to get much farther than that. Louis looked up at me with a worried expression. His blue eyes holding concern and his thin lips parted just the slightest bit.

"Yeah Harry?" He asked and I tried to continue but the words that I were thinking just wasn't forming into verbal sentences. You can't stay with Harmony. It isn't good for you or her. She isn't strong enough for this. Use your head Louis. "Harry?" The apprehension in Louis' voice brought me from my troublesome thoughts and I took a deep breath.

"I think you should stop seeing Harmony." I finally blurted out and I could see Louis visibly stiffen. His eyebrows instantly knotted together in confusion.

"Why? I thought you liked Harmony." He stated puzzled. I could hear the rising irritation in his voice.

"Uh, Harmony is amazing. She truly is but Louis, what are you going to do when things start becoming too difficult for you? When she can't handle the pressure anymore? When the paps or fans won't leave her alone?" My questions and concerns spilling out all at once. I just couldn't stop. "She isn't strong enough for your life. You need someone who can stand beside you even when things get stressful and Harmony just can't do that!" My words followed one after the other so quickly that it almost didn't sound comprehendible but it would seem that Louis understood it all because he stood up slowly from his seat on the couch.

"So, what do you think I should do then, Harold?" He asked me with an even voice. He used my first name as if it was a curse word, spitting it out at me. I flinched involuntarily at the harshness. Honestly, I knew he wouldn't take what I had to say lightly but I didn't think he would respond this way. Looking away from Louis, down at my hands, I took another deep breath. Before I could go on, the sound of our flat door opening followed by a couple greetings from the other guys stopped my train of thought.

Niall stepped around the corner into the living room where Louis and I were. He stopped in his tracks when he noticed the two of us, Louis standing tensely with an angry expression while I was sitting on the couch probably looking scared. The smile that was spread across Niall's features was quickly swiped away and his eyebrows knotted together in confusion.

"What's up guys?" The concern in his tone was easily heard. I looked between Louis and Niall, searching each of their expressions. Before either Louis or I could answer, Liam and Zayn walked around the corner talking animatedly. They stopped once they noticed the edgy atmosphere in the room, giving Niall a questioning look that he simply ignored.

"Well?" Louis finally broke the silence and I realized he was looking at me expectantly, as if he wanted me to explain. I stood up gradually from the couch and ran a hand through my curls.

"I was just saying how I think it'd be a good idea for Louis to stop seeing Harmony." I told them truthfully, figuring it would be a better idea to be straightforward with them rather than dance around the truth. Liam's face scrunched up even more in confusion and Niall sort of stuck his bottom lip out in a slight pout. Zayn stayed as stoic as ever.

"Why would that be a good idea, Harry?" Niall asked and I could see Liam nod his head slightly in agreement.

"Lads, Harmony can't handle our lives. She breaks from stress, yeah?" I questioned them before continuing. "That's all our lives are. Stress." I put emphasis on the last word. Louis was quiet along with the other boys.

"I agree with Harry." I was surprised to hear Zayn's voice. Everyone looked up towards him in shock but his gaze was set on Louis.

"What?" Louis questioned. I could hear the dejected tone in his voice. The room quickly filled with silence. Louis looked from each of us. I didn't speak nor did Liam, Zayn, or Niall.

"Okay." Louis stated and moved for his jacket that was laying haphazardly on the couch. "I'm going to go out for a while. Please don't bother texting because I won't reply." He mumbled while pulling his coat on and heading for the door. His eyes never met ours but I could tell that they were the blue that I didn't like to see. The blue that change so intense, like the color of the ocean that churns before a brutal storm. The blue that meant he was about to cry. His tears were from worry that he would have to leave Harmony; from us, his brothers, that think Harmony is bad news From his love for Harmony that he didn't even understand yet.

Louis loved Harmony with a childish heart that could turn his eyes the color of the ocean from our simple contradicting words.

Louis loved Harmony like Peter Pan loved being able to never growing up.

And that's what Louis would do for Harmony, never grow up. He would stay childish to keep her at ease. To reassure her that there was nothing to worry about. With nothing to worry about, Harmony-with her crazy curly red hair- could stay happy. She could stay exactly how Louis wanted her.

Louis slammed the door to the flat and took of to god knows where. We were left in the trembling silence and shared a glance. As Louis' bandmates we knew that when he wanted left alone, we had to leave him alone. So, Louis spent his evening wandering the streets lost in his thoughts and worries.