Chapter 27

• Dedicated to Adam - cuz you asked

Chapter 27:

Today is the day. I am scared as hell. I have only been training for about a week and I already have to fight off Grimm’s. The siren blows and normally we would have to train. Not today. Today we get to relax in our rooms, stretch and plan out ideas on our attacks. The sergeant gave us all sheets of maps of the city with already thought out battle plans. We don’t have to do exactly as they say though. We all head down to breakfast, it is earlier and we have a snack bar out. As we are eating, it is dead silent. Everyone is nervous. Everyone just eats in silence then goes off to their rooms in silence. 9:00 passes, then 10:00, then 11:00, then 12:00, then 1:00, then 2:00, then 3:00 and then 4:00. Time goes by so slowly. Most of the time is spent stretching in our rooms or walking around in the ‘base’ or eating. Then it is 6:00 and a siren goes off. The siren everyone has been waiting for. All of a sudden, my body goes stiff as I walk to the yard. I stand with Lance and ‘the group’. No one talks. Everyone is still silent as the sergeant walks in front of us.

“Tonight, you will be hungry. No supper. You eat when you get back. Give it all you got, NOW LET’S MOVE!” He yells. Everyone jogs out of the gate leading into the city. It is crazy. There were towers on fire, kids and adults running around, escaping to their homes… the scariest of all was the Grimm’s. All of them. They were everywhere, probably over 500. Everyone ducks behind buildings or dead trees, hoping not to be seen by the Grimm’s. I run after Lance and hide behind a burning building, loading my gun and having it ready. Then a shriek ran through my ears as Lance got thrown against another building.

“GRIMM!” he yells and shoots it as I help too. After about 7 shots to the head, it drops dead. I run up to him, seeing a huge cut across his cheek, bleeding down his face.

“I’m ok man! Sheesh, a little scrape and you go squirrely!” Lance says joking as I pull him to his feet and we find a new spot. This is real life; screw it up and you’re done. I think to myself, so scared I almost wet my pants. We found Axel under a bridge, which looks like one of the only things that aren’t on fire.

“Shhh, they are right there.” Axel whispered so quiet I barely heard him through all the chaos. He pointed over the bridge right when I see green eyes. Then I shot through instinct. I knew it was a direct hit when it dropped into the river after the bang.

“WHOO!” Axel and Lance yell and high five as we run and keep shooting. We are so immature but hey, we are going to die anyway so why not have fun?  I tell myself as I smile when it starts to rain.

“The rain will help keep the fire under control but won’t put the fires out. Maddox and Joel are on fire patrol along with a bunch of other people but you don’t know them.” Axel yells to me. I nod as we run through the rain, getting drenched as the Grimm’s start to slow down in their numbers.

“The Grimm’s are moving slower… it must be the rain!” a soldier beside us running tells us as he adds;

“Spread the word!” he yells before sprinting away. As we tell people we meet, I can see the numbers increasing. We end up in downtown of the city; I notice that there is a lot more damage in the buildings. Then I see it… a hole… it is glowing green.

“Lance!” I yell trying to get his attention. He turns to me, curious on what I found.

“I’m going to go see what that it!” I yell over the down pour of the rain, shivering through the cold. As I get closer, I feel a sudden heat, and it doesn’t leave. Then screeching getting louder. As I looked down the hole, my skin was burning and then Grimm’s starting jumping out. The Grimm’s lair. I say to myself as I kill them as they come out.

“LANCE!” I yell trying to get his attention, not looking back to see if he is still there I yell;

“I FOUND WHERE THEY COME FROM!” and then I feel Lance and Axel’s presence beside me as we kill them off, slowly backing away and hiding.

“We have to tell everyone. We have to block off that hole!” Axel says panting. I look at them and then myself, we probably look ridiculous, all bloody and wet and scratched. I nod in agreement as we run off to get the others and tell the sergeant.

AUTHORS NOTE: so how was that? they could defeat the Grimm's, you know... if they don't DIE!

keep smiling