Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

When I woke up, it felt early because I looked out the small window in the room and the sun was barely raised. Lance was still sleeping. I could tell because I could hear him snoring. He must’ve came really late because I don’t remember him coming in, I was probably been already sleeping. I check the phone that Pete gave me before I left. 2 messages:

Pete Mumbry: Hey man! How is it? Text me whenever! We miss yah, Rico burnt another batch of pancakes!

What a guy! I laugh to myself and check my other message.

Rico Hickery: Travis! We took the phone we gave you and put our numbers in it, hope yah don’t mind! Yo aint getting rid of us yet! Text back!!!

Ha-ha man, I miss those guys, I thought as I texted them both back.

Hey guys! I wish I had pancakes here! I miss you guys too! My roommate is Lance and he’s ok. I’ve been meeting a lot of people and today we are training so I won’t be able to talk to you guys today but I’ll try sometime tonight.

Then I hit send. Both of them get the same message because I’m not sure what to all send out in the message. Then my phone beeps.

 Pete Mumbry: Man, its 6:00 in the morning, I was sleeping. Anyways, good to hear from yah. How are they feeding you down there?

I feel guilty for waking him up but I didn’t realize how early it was. Then I hear Lance, tossing in his bed. I freeze, not wanting to wake him. Then it’s quiet again. And I switch the phone to vibrate.

Pete, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize how early it was. I’ll let yah go back to sleep.

Then no reply. He must’ve fallen asleep. Fine by me, I should too.

                                                           ~~~

I fell asleep, because the next thing I knew, I hear a huge blaring and almost have a heart attack as Lance blares some rock music and says

“MORNING!” In a loud cheery voice, totally aware of his annoyance. I don’t open my eyes before I have the chance to pull the hood over my face.

“You gotta stop wearing that hood, Travis.” Lance says still in a cheery voice. I ignore his comment.

“What was that siren?” I ask, still exhausted from the morning heart attack.

“The morning bell. Everyone has to get up because if you aren’t awake and the sergeant sees ya sleeping in bed then you got to clean up the mess hall after breakfast for a week. So you’re welcome.” Lance says bowing, probably trying to be funny, but it’s the morning… seriously? Nothing is funny in the morning!

“Get ready for today’s training, in a week we have to go and kill Grimm’s.” Lance said as he bounded out the door in nothing but his P.J shorts… I was going to tell him but considering he just screamed in my ear in the morning, I thought he’ll be fine. As I hear him yell;

“BREAKFAST!” so I pulled my jeans on and walked to the mess hall, worried I would be the last one there and get nothing.