Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

As we walked in all I could see was soldiers. Man, I don’t fit in here.

“Pete, I really don’t like this idea.” I whisper to Pete as all the soldiers watched us.

“You’ll be a hero man!” Pete said excited. As we walked up to a office, it smelt like cigarettes and coffee. Great…

“Come in.” said a rough voice. We entered the small office, a big man in camouflage looked up at us. He was about 6 foot 4 and looked like he lived in a gym. I almost wet my pants!

“Is this Travis?” The man said, gesturing my way, questioning me. I’m not army material if you know what I mean.

“Yup, the best shooter around here.” Pete and Rico said confidently, grinning.

“Well son, you have to know that we don’t let just any amateur in. We will take you out to the shooting range and have you up against our best shooter. Then we’ll decide to let you in or not.” Said the man, amused by me.

“Sounds good, come on Travis!” Pete said, so excited he bounded out the door. When we got there, all the soldiers were lined up along the sides and watched me and some soldier walk up to the shooting range. The solider I was up against, his name I believe was Darren, was confident. Walking up grinning as if he knew he could beat me. I just clumsily walk up, scared I was going to trip on my feet. When we got up to the shooting range, the man announced that whoever gets the most bulls-eyes in 10 shots is the new high rank shooter. Darren started. 1st shot, so close to a bulls-eye. 2nd shot, bulls-eye. All the soldiers cheer. 3rd shot same thing, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th the same thing, all bulls-eyes but the first one then the 9th was a close one, but not a bulls-eye, the tenth a bulls-eye. All the soldiers cheering, jumping up and down… now it was my turn. Everyone snickers. I go up for my first shot, I aim… shoot… bulls-eye! Everyone looks at me, shocked. I look back to see Rico and Pete just grinning at me. Then bang, bang, bang… more bulls-eyes. Everyone is silent. My 5th one, I shoot, bulls-eye! Now everyone cheers. Darren just scowls. Bang, bang, bang, bang, more bulls-eyes. Everyone is ecstatic, jumping up and down, high fiving, cheering. My last shot, I barely have to aim, and just shoot. BULLS-EYE!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers echo through the range, people jumping up and down. I Look at Darrel who looks like he wants to kill me. I look at Pete and Rico to see them chest thump and cheer, Rico giving me a thumbs up. The man (who I have guessed is the sergeant by now) comes up, puts on a grin and shakes my hand.

“Welcome on board.” He says, sounding pretty pleased.

Authors Note: Hey! so, liking it so far? Leave comments for me to tell me how I'm doing so far. Have a awesome day. hope to update soon, toodle-loo!

keep smiling :)