Chapter 25

Chapter 25:

After Lance whispered me the plan, we still had to wait quite a while in the dark of our room in our bed before the lights flickered. I knew what to do as Lance and I sprang into action, being as quiet as possible. Once we got into the hall, so many people crowded it, it was crazy. If you were in the building you wouldn’t even know though because it was so quiet. Once we got to the top floor we sat and waited by the eaves troughs.

“What are we doing? Don’t we go down?” I ask Lance who was looking impatiently as his leg bounced up and down in frustration.

“Nah, before we left, I got a text from the gang. I told them I would wait for them. When you only have these guys as family; you learn to take care of each other.” Lance informed me. That was when I realized yet again; everyone cares for each other here. So I agreed to stay and wait, I realized Lance was right and these guys are like family. After what feels like only a couple minutes, I see Sam and Joel (who are like brothers to each other, since they share a room.) and then Milt tagging along. As we group them over, we let them go down since the rest of the gang (Clint, Tyrone, Axel, and Jett) were running up not far behind. All of them are down and looking at the ‘base’ for the lights, just in case. I go down and then Lance short behind. I don’t know why but Lance is always the last one. I mean nothing wrong with that, maybe he likes being last but it’s kinda weird wanting to be last. As we make our way to the gate, there are soldiers sneaking through one at a time. You can barely see them because of the dark. (It is around 12:50 at night, so you couldn’t expect different.) I look around and see where the soldiers are coming from and see the yards near the gates have bushes. That’s probably were we are going to hide I thought to myself. As we got behind the buses, Lance, Milt, Sam, Clint, Tyrone, and Axel all go through. Then there was yelling as the gate closed with a clang and bolted shut. 30 minutes can’t be up yet! What is going on?! Did someone set off the alarm?! What do I do?! Did Maddox make it through?! I am screaming in my head, so confused what to do next. Then I feel a hand grab me. I whip around and a hand covers my mouth.

*Shhhhh!* a voice hushes me; luckily I hadn’t started yelling yet.

“It’s me, Maddox! I couldn’t keep the gate open for any longer.” The hushed voice explains to me.

“The guards will come any minute, we have to hide or get outta here before they see anyone or lock down the ‘base’ and ‘grounds’ or we will all be in trouble.” The hushed voice tells me.

“Come-on!” I hear Maddox’s voice say impatient. I was about to ask about Joel and Jett until I saw them tailing along. We ran across the yard, a full on sprint (thanks to the adrenaline) and then ducked behind a wall of the ‘base’ once we reached it.

“We got to get to the roof. I have something hidden there. I just thought of it now.” Maddox says, sounding relived. As we make our way out to the roof, I notice he is limping.

“You ok Maddox?” I ask him, having no idea what happened.

“For now, we just gotta get out of here.” He replied, and I agreed, I didn’t like this any-more. We got onto the roof with Jett and I helping Maddox up, Man something is wrong I think to myself but thought to ignore it till we are out of the gate. I look below to see guards running after soldiers, chasing them out of the bushes and grabbing them and dragging them inside. What happens to the ones that get caught I wondered, but thought it best I don’t ask now.

“Travis! Grab onto the hook and throw it as far as you can.” Maddox explains to me, I want to ask why but I don’t and obey him. Then Jet grabs the other end, which is just a thick rope, and ties it onto the top of a vent sticking from the roof of the ‘base’ we are on. Jett tests it and it looked tight and nodded to Maddox.

“Ok, everyone grab onto the rope and move.” Maddox instructs everyone. Is he crazy? I think to myself. Sure enough the next thing I know, I’m after Joel in line to the rope. I see how Joel is doing it, I copy. My legs dangling as my hands grip the rope, slowly sliding my hands down the rope, not nearly as graceful as Jett and Joel, but it’s moving all the same. We are about 7 stories up off the ground, and here I am, dangling from a rope that might not even hold us. Then I start getting nervous, my hands getting sweaty and slipping… I am so close to the end, almost at the gate, then it happened…

AUTHOR'S NOTE: so, its a cliff hanger, literally... kinda. Do YOU think he will make it? leave comments below. I'll update, hopefully tomorrow! have a awesome day lovelies!

keep smiling :)

till next time!