Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

Do you have a map of the city?" I ask Rico, thinking of how we are going to find a place for Ginger to stay.

"There is one on the wall of your room." Rico informs me. So Ginger and I bound upstairs to my room. As I look at the map, Ginger blares some music. I have to admit, the kid had good taste.

"And if your heart wears thin, I will hold you up! And I will hide you, when it gets too much! I will be riiiiight, beside you, nobody can breeeeak youuuuuu!" Ginger and I belt out singing to the music giggling and dancing around the room.

"Some people are trying to sleep!" Pete slurred tiredly annoyed. He is in just P.J pants, his eyes blood shot and hair a mess. Ginger and I just look at the floor in silence embarrassed and turn off the music. Then Pete stumbled back into his room. We just look at each other and burst out laughing.

"Ok, Ginger. Do you have any friends you can stay with?" I ask her, trying to get her attention to the problem.

"I could stay at Sandrin's. Her mom is really nice." Ginger said happily.

"Do you know where she lives?" I ask, having no idea who she is talking about.

"Yup!" Ginger said happily, popping the 'p' at the end and dashing down stairs.

"Rico, Rico, Rico, Rico!" Ginger squealed excitedly.

"What's she hyped up on?" Rico asked me, looking puzzled.

"I get to stay at Sandrin's!!!" Ginger said, getting more excited every time she talks.

"Whoa! Ginger?" I try to get her attention, holding onto her shoulders as I bent down close to her face, trying to get her full attention.

"We have to ask ok? They might not have enough room for you in their family. We have to ask first ok?" I ask her, hoping she would understand but not be too upset.

"OK!" she said, as happy as ever as she bounded upstairs.

"Where on earth is she going?" Rico asked, still looking astonished by how happy the little girl is. Then she popped her head around the corner smiling as she practically dragged Pete down the stairs. Wow, he looked so dead! As Ginger was dragging Pete down he had his other arm clutching his stomach and his eyes squinting as he groaned in what could be exhaustion or pain, or both.

"What the... What's the big idea?" Pete asks more tired than mad as he goes and sits down.

"We have to get Ginger to Sandrin's house to see if they will take her." I explained.

"What about the orphanage?" Pete groaned as he set his head down on the counter. Definately a hangover I thought thinking of how much he drank last night.

"I don't like it." Ginger said loudly, and scoffed, crossing her little arms across her chest, trying to look all serious. (Which by the way, I thought was adorable.)

"Well, I'm staying here. Good luck with that." Pete said glumly, making his way over to the couch.

"Let's roll!" I announced loudly, as we skipped (which I totally am embarrassed about by the way, but what they hey! Why not!) To Sandrin's house.

                                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~

When we got to her house we knocked on the front door. A while later a girl (maybe 10) answered the door with an expression of horror on her face, until she saw Ginger. I assumed the girl was Sandrin. The girls just smiled at one another and Sandrin motioned for us to come in. We all crammed onto a small couch as the mother appeared from another room.

"Who are these people Sandrin?" The woman said strictly as the girl just smiled and Ginger waved.

"Oh, these are you friends, what can I do for you?" The woman asked looking in Rico's direction so I let him answer.

"We were wondering if you had any room in your home for Ginger here. We can't take care of her, hey; we can barely take care of ourselves." Rico said, chuckling to himself.

"What do you think Sandrin?" The mom asked her daughter. The girls face just lit up as she gave her mom a thumbs up. Does this girl not talk? Do me and Rico scare her? I think to myself.

"I guess that settles it!" The mom says happily. Once we all say our thank you's we were just about to head out as the girls went to play.

"Hold on boys, can you stay a minute to talk?" The mom asked hopeful. We both look at each other and nod, sitting back down on the couch.

"If you were wondering, you don't make my daughter nervous or anything. Ever since she lost her brother, she hasn't talked." The woman said.

"Sorry to hear that. Maybe Ginger will help her with that." I say hoping I can leave soon because this was getting weird.

"That's why I was so open to the idea. Thank you boys!" The woman said, sounding genuinely grateful. We said thank you again then headed back home.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: the song that Ginger and Travis were singing is on the side

keep smiling :)