Chapter 4

• Dedicated to Ryan - Because of your encouragement and awesomeness

                                                                        Chapter 4

I woke up in a bed, not a table, not on the floor, a real bed. I looked around, it wasn't my apartment. I looked at me, there were no tubes or nothing hooked up to me. I slowly move the blanket off me… my stomach black and blue, full of stitches with crusted blood around them. I quickly put the blanket over me.

“Hey Travis! You’re awake” Pete says cheerful. I don't reply, I just stare at my covered stomach in shock.

“...you saw?” He asked sympathetically. I just nod.

“… It’s not as bad as you think… You get the stitches out in a couple weeks… Doctors say you won’t have to worry about poison, they took it all out...look… they couldn't do anything to prevent the stitches, the poison was eating away at your flesh.” Pete said

“Where are we?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

“My place. Me and Rico live here. Rico is my friend I met in war. He made pancakes down stairs if you want any.” Pete left the room as I lay there until I don't hear his footsteps go down the stairs anymore. I take the blanket off and slowly sit up. My skin stretches as the stiches hold in place. I slowly walk up to a mirror leaning against the wall as my knees buckle under the weight. I look at myself; I don't look like me anymore. I have a pale face and stringy brown hair; a chest and stomach all bruised and stitched up. I quickly throw some pants on that I found folded at the foot of my bed… no shirt… great. I stand at the top of the stairs, slowly stepping down each little step; careful not to fall I grip the railing tight. I pause halfway down… feeling really dizzy, I feel myself fall forward.

“Easy there!” Pete said as he caught me and helped me down the stairs into a chair.

“His stitches don't look too bad” said a man’s voice; it must be Rico I thought as I turned around to see a tall dark man. He looks about 6foot 4 and has a dark tan.

“Here are some pancakes. Eat up! It will make you stronger.” Rico said pushing a plate of 3 pancakes in front of me. I pick up the fork and start eating, realizing how hungry I am. Pete joins me with about 5 pancakes on his plate. Pete is about 5 foot 11 (about 2 more inches than me) so I am surprised with how much he could eat. While I wait for Pete to finish his pancakes I look at my chest, covered in crusted blood. Rico comes back with 3 towels on his arm, gives on to me and one to Pete. Rico tells me I can wash up first. I head down the hall till I find a little room with a tiny shower and hop in. I scrub at the stitches, cleaning them.

I use a bit of their soap to wash my shaggy brown hair. After I come out, Rico hands me a fresh pair of pants, a grey muscle shirt and a big black hoodie. I head into the bathroom and change, not wearing the hoodie. When I come out Rico says;

“Hoodie is for the outside; wear it so no one sees your face.” He says.

“Why can’t people see my face?” I ask.

“Because of your eyes, they are green like Pete’s. If people see green eyes they think you are Grimm. Mine are blue so I don't have to wear a hood. Still have to wear mud on my face though like everyone else because the less color you show, the harder it is for the Grimm’s to find you.” Rico informs me.

“But aren't the Grimm’s like giant rats? I don't think I look like a rat.” I say confused.

“The Grimm’s original form is a rat yes, but they can form into anything they want but they have to be living things, for example, a human or monkey.” He finished.

“But then how do you tell who is a Grimm?” I asked, still very confused.

“Because of the eyes, no matter what, the eyes don't change. If people see you have green eyes, they will think you are a Grimm; which is why you have to wear a hood.” Rico looked a little annoyed I didn't catch on sooner, but who could blame me? I have been here for only about a month and over half the time I was unconscious. I sit on the couch after I get dressed and just think of everything. Rico and Pete getting showered up I wonder if I should trust them. I mean, Pete does have green eyes like a Grimm, even though I have never seen a Grimm. I finally decide that I should trust them. I mean, Pete has saved me a few times now… I don't see why not trust them. Maybe they will help me find a way outta here. I hope...