Chapter 7

• Dedicated to Mrs. Berard - my gr.8 teacher

Chapter 7:

After we ate in a small restaurant, we headed to an orphanage. We didn’t have to walk long to get to the orphanage. When we got there you could tell it was an Orphanage. There were over 2 dozen children outside sitting in a circle, talking and laughing and singing. Children of all ages. They all had 1 thing in common… they were all sickly skinny. We passed all the children and went inside a big building. This building was huge, and packed with kids. We went up to where there as one of the workers sitting in a desk, she looked exhausted.

“Hello? Do you have any room in the orphanage? We have a little girl in need or a home, her mother died of illness.” Pete said picking up Ginger with ease from Rico’s side and placing her on his hip.

“We have a few beds left but we are running out of food. She won’t get any food today but late tomorrow she will.” Said the working woman, expressionless.

“That’s fine; we already took her to lunch a few minutes ago before we came here. So she can stay?” Pete said hopeful.

“Yeah, but she will have to share a room with 4 others. 3rd floor, 5th room on the left.” Said the woman.

“Ok, thank you.” Pete replied to the woman, carrying Ginger down the hall as me and Rico followed we found the room and Ginger sat on the bed, tears streaming down her face.

“What’s wrong? You’ll have lots of new friends.” Pete said sitting beside Ginger on the bed, followed by Rico and Me.

“I don’t want to stay here. What if people don’t like me? I want to stay home with Mommy!” Ginger cried louder.

“It’s ok! We will come visit you as much as we can. You are awesome and your roommates will love you. Trust me, it’ll be fun here!” I say, trying to comfort her. Then she ran over to me on the other side of the bed and hugged me, crying into my big hoodie, I take the hood off. So does Pete. After we sit for a while Pete, Rico and I go to get her stuff from her house and bring it to her and say bye. Then we head back to Rico’s and Pete’s… Which I guess is my house too.