Queen of Persia Chapter 1

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 1

“Did you hear it!” exclaimed Sarah, one of Hadassah’s neighbours.

“Hear what exactly?” asked Mordecai.

“All the young virgins throughout the Persian Empire are being taken to the king’s palace.”

“What ever for?” asked Mordecai, thinking about Hadassah.

“Well after that whole problem with Vashti – he’s banished her and had his royal guards go out to find the most beautiful women in Persia as potential candidates for becoming the next queen.”

Mordecai went pale.

This would mean Hadassah could potentially get taken to the palace – meaning he would probably never get to see her again.

“Thanks for the news Sarah, but I must go see Hadassah right now,” said Mordecai, turning on his heel and walking to Hadassah’s room.

“Hadassah?” he called, hoping she had not gone out.

“Yes?” she replied, stepping out of her room.

“My dear, I have a lot to tell you with not enough time to say it all,” said Mordecai, taking her hand.

“What’s wrong dear uncle?” she asked, clearly confused as to what was going on.

“You heard about Queen Vashti’s banishment, have you not?” he asked quietly.

“I have, it’s all people have been talking about lately,” replied Hadassah.

“The king has sent out his royal guards in search for a new queen,” said Mordecai, waiting for Hadassah’s reaction.

“So what? He’ll probably pick some fancy Persian woman who’s from a noble family,” laughed Hadassah.

“No Hadassah, he’s sent the guards out to places all over Persia and beyond. All the young virgins are being rounded up and taken to the palace as we speak,” said Mordecai, who was starting to panic.

“Well what if they come to take me?” asked Hadassah quietly. “How will I keep His commandments, while serving a Persian king?”

Her uncle pulled at his hair.

“Surely He will see that you are doing this because you have to – not by choice. You must be brave – do as the king asks of you, even if it means going against what you have been taught. Palace protocol says you must submit to your king – or face the punishment of death. Do as you are asked and pray for a miracle.”

“What about my Jewish background? Am I to keep that a secret too?” asked Esther, knowing there were people within the community who despised her race.

“Yes, try your best not to reveal anything about yourself. Call yourself by your Babylonian name – Esther...of Susa.”

“So I am now Esther,” she mumbled quietly.

“I’m afraid so,” sighed Mordecai.

Knock Knock.

“It’s them,” whispered Esther, afraid to move.

“Open up,” called a gruff voice.

Mordecai rushed to the door and opened it.

“What can I do for you this morning?” asked Mordecai, already knowing what it was.

The guard caught sight of Esther and looked to Mordecai.

“Is she married?” asked the guard.