Queen of Persia Prologue

• Dedicated to My boyfriend, who in his own special way, is my very own Xerxes

 Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Neal, you are just like Esther's Xerxes. Even though I didn't deserve someone like you, somehow we ended up together and have stayed that way ever since, right by one another's side. <3

                                                              Queen of Persia

Now this story happened many centuries ago – so you will have to be patient, as my memory is not what it used to be.

Once upon a time in a land far, far away lived a young Jewish girl by the name of Hadassah. She lived with her Uncle Mordecai, for her parents had died when she was just a small child.

They lived in the land of Persia, ruled by King Xerxes. His Persian Empire stretched all the way from India to Cush and over one hundred and twenty-seven provinces.

One year, he called for a feast to be held in his royal palace – everyone was invited, whether they were from the upper class, right down to the poorest of the poor.

The celebrations lasted many days, and when the king was merry with wine – he called for Queen Vashti to come before him wearing the royal crown in order to display her beauty to the nobles and the people.

She refused to come.

The king became angry, asking one of his closest advisors of what should be done with his wife.

The advisor told him, “Queen Vashti has done wrong, not only against the king but also against all the nobles and the peoples of all the provinces of King Xerxes. For the queen’s conduct will become known to all the women, and so they will despise their husbands and say, ‘King Xerxes commanded Queen Vashti to be brought before him, but she would not come.’ This very day the Persian and Median women of the nobility who have heard about the queen’s conduct will respond to all the king’s nobles in the same way. There will be no end of disrespect and discord.”

The king nodded, asking him to continue.

“Therefore, if it pleases the king, let him issue a royal decree and let it be written in the laws of Persia and Media, which cannot be repealed, that Vashti is never again to enter the presence of King Xerxes. Also let the king give her royal position to someone else who is ...more deserving that she is. Then when the king’s edict is proclaimed throughout all his vast realm, all the women will respect their husbands, from the least to the greatest.”

The king was pleased with this answer, and ordered for it to be carried out.

However, a few hours after these events, the king had remembered what he had said in regards to Vashti. His advisors suggested the most beautiful, young virgins be brought to the palace to undergo a year of preparation of potentially becoming the next queen. Once the year was up, one by one the woman would have one night with the king, and whoever pleased the king with their beauty, grace and poise would take Vashti’s position as queen.

The king was pleased with this suggestion, commanding that what they had said was to be carried out.

And this, my dear friends – is how Hadassah’s life was changed forever.