Chapter 48

When we were outside I saw a big hellicopter. A couple boys were already inside and Teresa and Thomas ran in front of us while they held hands, too. I felt terrible leaving Chuck in that room, but Newt was right, we didn't have any choice. We ran through the sand until we reached the hellicopter.

Newt let me go in the hellicopter first, helping me up, and he wanted to sit next to me, but there wasn't enough space so I decided to sat on Newt's lap. I was crying heavily and Newt wrapped his arms around me. I laid my head down on Newt's shoulder. He whispered words in my ear. 'It's okay, Rose, it'll all be fine, I'm so, so sorry.' I could hear he was struggling to keep himself from crying, too.
'How can you say that? Chuck... he's dead.'  I whispered, a bad taste in my mouth made me want to gag. I closed my eyes and I could see his little face in front of me, smiling at jokes, running through the Glade, holding my hand...

The hellicopter rose up towards the sky and I looked around me. Thomas and Theresa sat next to each other in front of us. Everyone looked scared and sad, Teresa was crying and Thomas stared at the floor with tears on his face.

I glanced out of the window and I saw the maze, the Glade, growing smaller and smaller. All around the maze was dry land, sand, nothing else. The sun shone bright. I looked forward and saw city, far, far away. We had made it out.